CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Being new to the word of engine maintenance, I'm wondering how best to log something in my engine logbook. There is a Service Bulleting for my Lycoming engine - serial number specific. But the Service Bulletin was about a possibly mis-molded part. I reviewed the Service Bulletin and the part and the part was compliant and didn't need to be replaced.

What is acceptable language for the log book about something like this?

"Date XXX - Reviewed Service Bulleting #, found part to be compliant. No change made"

??

Anything along the lines of:

"Performed inspection of such-and-such component in accordance with Lycoming Service Bulletin xxx. No discrepancies noted. No further action necessary."

-OR-

"Complied with Lycoming Service Bulletin xxx by inspecting component such-and-such. No discrepancies noted. Next inspection due xxx."

Note the aircraft TT, engine Tach or Hobbs, and date of inspection.

Makes sense. What is an acceptable way of denoting my qualifications since I am the builder? Also, since I dont have an A&P license and I dont have my repairman certificate for the aircraft YET, can I even properly denote this in the log yet?

For experimental - no certificate or credential is required. You wouldn't use the repairman certificate since it only allows you to do a condition inspection.

Assuming this is a Lycoming engine (not a clone or similar engine of an actual different manufacturer - for which no entry is really required), my suggested wording would be "... Determined that Lycoming SB # XXX is not applicable by engine serial number...." Sign and date it - indicate, if you'd like, that you are the aircraft builder.

Overpriced at $.02.

Dan

This are the generic FAA rules for certified planes (43.9)... easy enough to follow anyway...

(a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each person who maintains, performs preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information:
(1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of work performed.
(2) The date of completion of the work performed.
(3) The name of the person performing the work if other than the person specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.
(4) If the work performed on the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part has been performed satisfactorily, the signature, certificate number, and kind of certificate held by the person approving the work. The signature constitutes the approval for return to service only for the work performed.