Steve Brown

Well Known Member
I recently replaced the battery and the starter contactor in my airplane. The battery I'm pretty sure is airframe log, but the starter contactor I'm not sure.

Which one is right??????

I recently replaced the battery and the starter contactor in my airplane. The battery I'm pretty sure is airframe log, but the starter contactor I'm not sure.

Which one is right??????

If your starter contactor is mounted on the firewall (airframe) then the entry should be in the airframe log.

Mark

In an experimental, you can pretty much do whatever you want - there is no requirement for a separate engine log if I recall previous discussions correctly. I have separate logs myself, for not other reason than habit, having owned certified airplanes before. And in that case, I agree with Mark - the contactor is an airframe system, so it would go in the airframe logbook.

Paul

Maintenance Records

In an experimental, you can pretty much do whatever you want - there is no requirement for a separate engine log if I recall previous discussions correctly. I have separate logs myself, for not other reason than habit, having owned certified airplanes before. And in that case, I agree with Mark - the contactor is an airframe system, so it would go in the airframe logbook.

Paul

Actually, there is no requirement for a "log" anywhere in the FARs, even for certified planes.

The FARs call for maintenance records... which you can organize any way you want, as long as it keeps track of the work performed, parts used, who did it and time in service at each entry.

In practice, having separate books for the prop, airframe and engine helps organization, but is not required.

The FARs do require a signature, so I'm not sure how completely computerised records are handled.

gil A