jjhoneck

Well Known Member
We have one of these in our RV-8A.

1377054_580981298604435_833858101_n.jpg

After three months, Mary and I have gotten used to reading the arcane and marginally useful information that this unit provides, but frankly we hate the thing. It's clunky and awkward to use, on a good day.

In our previous two aircraft we had JPI EDM-700s, and truly grew to love that format, and are hoping to install something similar or better in our new bird. Since this unit has transducers coming from all over, and I don't want to just throw the whole system away, it would be nice to keep the wiring -- but what are my options? Is there a plug and play replacement display that would use this unit's existing wiring but give us a modern graphic display of engine information?

Thanks for your help!

Is it plug-n-play with the probes from my dinosaur?

You could probably use the EGT/CHT probes but not the pressure transducers. If it were me I'd change all of it as the sensors are often the cause of problems.

Add a GRT screen (ie a Sport) and it will show all the info from the EIS in a nice format.. No need to remove it nor look at it again... It will become just a data acquisition unit...

Add a GRT screen (ie a Sport) and it will show all the info from the EIS in a nice format.. No need to remove it nor look at it again... It will become just a data acquisition unit...

Care to expand on that? How would that work?

The GRT EIS is the unit that acquires the data, and as you know it presents it on a series of screens in a digital format.

The EIS also outputs a serial signal to the GRT EFIS units that can display the same information in a graphic format-------bar graphs, dials etc.

Here is a shot of the EFIS in the engine monitor mode, it is configurable to fine tune the look and style of the data presented.

DSC06106.jpg

You can set parameters for most of the inputs, and no need to switch page after page like when using the EIS alone.

CHT and EGT bar graphs are a good example of how much easier it is to interpret things in this graphic format versus the digital of the EIS.

If you go the GRT route, you can move the EIS behind the panel out-of-sight and never see it again... Just look at the GRT.

If you go the GRT route, you can move the EIS behind the panel out-of-sight and never see it again... Just look at the GRT.

That is exactly how mine is installed. Worked with the Cheltons and works great with my new GRT Horizon Hxr.

Interesting! So instead of reusing the probes, and throwing the EIS away, I turn it into a sending unit for a graphic display?

The only downside is that real estate in an -8's panel is at a premium. I'd have to find a place to stash it.

Would this scheme work with other displays as well? Say, a Dynon?

No wont' work with Dynon... you'd have to use a GRT screen.. dual screens have been mounted in top-bottom (and even side-by-side) on many RV-8's.. but you could move the EIS out of the way to help with real estate.

PS. This would actually be the cheapest route too, believe it or not.. a GRT MFD screen is $1,600 or $1,800 (I'd recommend one with faster CPU).. You could not "upgrade" this to MVP-50 for that little (and you'd forego on a lot of functionality).

No wont' work with Dynon... you'd have to use a GRT screen.. dual screens have been mounted in top-bottom (and even side-by-side) on many RV-8's.. but you could move the EIS out of the way to help with real estate.

PS. This would actually be the cheapest route too, believe it or not.. a GRT MFD screen is $1,600 or $1,800 (I'd recommend one with faster CPU).. You could not "upgrade" this to MVP-50 for that little (and you'd forego on a lot of functionality).

What a great idea!

I didn't build this plane, so please bear with my probably dumb questions. So there is some sort of a data output port on the back of my EIS that I would simply plug the new GRT display into?

Can it really be that easy?

Edit: I just went to GRT's website, and only see displays that do a LOT more than simply display engine and environmental info. Did I miss it, or are you talking about displaying the engine data on a full EFIS multifunction display?

Last edited:
All of their EFISs use the EIS as a data collection box for the engine-related sensors. The Sport SX is currently their least expensive EFIS. So while you might be using it as an EMS, it's got much more capability than that.

You can download their installation manual for closer look at how to hook it up.

Dave

Yes, only ONE wire from EIS (serial data) into any GRT screen will enable you to use it as a full blow engine monitor (with alarms etc). You can see on GRT's website how it looks (they have screenshots).

But that screen, even the "lowly" MFD, will have additional functionality, such as moving map etc.. So not only would you get a graphic, nice to use/see, engine monitor, but even other functionality... It's a relatively inexpensive upgrade that gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

It really is that simple/easy... It would be best to talk to GRT and walk through some options... as they have multiple choices so you can make an informed decision what works best for you (that fits in the budget).

Yes, only ONE wire from EIS (serial data) into any GRT screen will enable you to use it as a full blow engine monitor (with alarms etc). You can see on GRT's website how it looks (they have screenshots).

But that screen, even the "lowly" MFD, will have additional functionality, such as moving map etc.. So not only would you get a graphic, nice to use/see, engine monitor, but even other functionality... It's a relatively inexpensive upgrade that gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

It really is that simple/easy... It would be best to talk to GRT and walk through some options... as they have multiple choices so you can make an informed decision what works best for you (that fits in the budget).

Thanks for the great tips!

This actually brings up another point - The VP-200 displays the engine data, as well. Since I have the GRT EIS, GRT HX, and the VP-200, I can see the engine data on the HX and the -200. However, I'm not sure if the the -200 depends on the HX, or gets it directly from the EIS. Aerotronics did it for me.
John

This actually brings up another point - The VP-200 displays the engine data, as well. Since I have the GRT EIS, GRT HX, and the VP-200, I can see the engine data on the HX and the -200. However, I'm not sure if the the -200 depends on the HX, or gets it directly from the EIS. Aerotronics did it for me.
John

The VP-200 installation manual notes the GRT EIS RS232 as an acceptable input to the VP-200.

I'm in the middle of a multiyear hotel remodeling project, so installing something like this isn't in the cards for me right now. Can y'all recommend anyone who could install a GRT MFD for me in South Texas?

Just as a note, the Dynon EMS-D10 or EMS-D120 are also both affordable and can use your sensors and wiring very easily. They will give you very nice graphical displays of your various sensors without the need for a remote box.

+1 on EMS-D10

I originally wired for he EIS but found a great deal on a used EMS-D10. made the easy switch at the panel and have not looked back in 7 years.

Two other positives:

1) The EMS-D10 is small
2) Dynon support was top notch the one time I needed them - Great guys

Just as a note, the Dynon EMS-D10 or EMS-D120 are also both affordable and can use your sensors and wiring very easily. They will give you very nice graphical displays of your various sensors without the need for a remote box.

Aha! This was the response I was initially expecting. :D

So, for example, I could plug the EIS sensors into Dynon display, no muss/no fuss?

I wish I could tell you it was zero muss and fuss, but there will be some.

The EGT/CHT will plug right in.

The D37 with all the other stuff will require a few of the pins to be moved around. We actually have a document around somewhere that helps you do this.