RVadmirer

Well Known Member
I have purchased an ECi 360 with 40 hours on it. I'm storing it carefully but still think I'll have it opened up and inspected before using it. What I'm wondering is are there any engine builders in Northern Calif or Oregon or Nevada within reasonable driving distance that anyone is familiar with that can improve the HP output with reliable methods?
I know of a shop in New Mexico that got a reliable 185 HP out of an O-320 and could easily do 200-220 HP out of mine but the shipping etc. is a problem. I shipped it here and worried the whole time.... :eek:
Thanks,
Dave

We asked one performance engine builder... "So how many horses can you get out of this engine...."

He answered with a question... "What do you want the TBO to be?"

I'd keep that in mind before tearing into it..

Thanks Mike, I'd heard of them but did not have a link. Sent them my request. Gil, those guys up north have not had a stellar reputation around here for reasons I'm not clear on. I did call them and they wanted almost $6,000 just to take it apart and reassemble. I've seeen that done in 8 hours and think that price is too high. But thanks for the suggestion.
The shop in New Mexico redid an O-320 with ceramic coatings, porting and polishing and some other new and old tricks bringing it up to around 185 HP with no appreciative effect on TBO. I'd rather go fast for 1500 hours than slow for 2000 anyway. Otherwise I'd be in a Cessna or something.... :eek:
Thanks again for the tips!

I would be very doubtful about squeezing 185 horses out of a 150 horse motor by simply porting and polishing. I suspect that improving intake flow would have the greatest effect at higher RPM, which really doesn't do much for our applications. Also, as someone who has assembled lots of car and bike engines (and one Lyclone), 6 grand is a whopping amount to simply take apart and reassemble. I have to assume that that figure includes much inspection and perhaps some machine work.

First, why tear the engine down at all? You can pull a jug or two if you're really concerned about the cam and take a gander inside, and easily dial the crank if need be...but with only 40 hrs I'd just bolt it on and fly. I'm just curious as to what you want to look at that you need a complete tear down on a 40SNEW engine that evidently didn't have a sudden stoppage or anything major to warrant it?

Second, $6k for a teardown and reassembly is too high. Most shops charge less than that for a full blown prop strike inspection...at least the shops I've dealt with.

Lastly, a small increase in HP is usually not too hard on these engines, but really large increases in HP will reduce the TBO as you are aware. One thing to keep in mind with all the cylinder work or if you increase compression is that in order to truly take advantage of it, you probably should also get a custom cam grind done, look at both the induction and exhaust systems, as well as fuel delivery and ignition systems. Anyway, be wary of HP claims by builders and shops. Without a dyno slip to confirm it, it's many times 'guesstimated' to a good extent.....I'd reduce anyones claims by a good margin unless they've got proof. Normally, the largest boosts in HP come from higher compressions and higher RPM's. Perhaps Rhonda or Alan or somebody can jump in here with their personal experience (they've forgotten more than I'll ever know), but in my limited experience HP claims are often like speed increase claims.....

As far as raw HP goes, the kings of that genre are in my opinion Barret, Lycon and Performance Engines (in no particular order). All three have good reputations among the highest and most extreme airplanes in the world.

Just my 2 cents as usual, but if it were me I'd bolt that thing on and go fly!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
I'm with Stein 100%. An engine properly pickled and stored should have no problems at all.

I'm with Mel and Stein on this one.

My engine was in storage since 1959 and when I pulled the jugs it looked brand new. Take a look at one of the cylinders.

I just put new rubber on the cylinders, bolted them back on, and ran it.

With over 90 hours since August I have no leaks what so ever.

I'm with the don't tear it down crowd. At least not just because it's been sitting. It's easy to take a few cylinders off and peek around. I also would take my engine to LyConn in Visalia. I've been there in person and I'm a believer. They are a top notch crowd of people and Ken likes to make engines that kick a__.

Just a heads up...

Not trying to start a war over the pros and cons about 100LL, but if 100LL goes away and you have unusually high compression ratios, you may be in for a major expense replacing pistons to bring down the compressions.

Earl Lawrence, the technical expert at EAA who developed the mogas STC gives 100LL 5 years. 2 tankers in the world that carry the stuff and both of them are 30 years old. I don't trust predictions, and maybe it will be here for 10 years or 2, but it's a gamble. Something to consider when trying to get more ponies--go in with your eyes open.