Larry Brown

I have a question regarding the Van's engine choices. I'm thinking about ordering a XO-360-A1A from Van's. They have an option that says "Unison electronic ignition option" $2250.00. The question is, is this for 1 or 2 (E or P) mags and is this same as the "Lightspeed electronic ignition".

I would assume that this is the LASAR ignition. That's the only electronic ignition I know that Unison offers.
Does Unison offer another EI?

Last edited:
Believer: Unison Lasar system

I too am a Unison Lasar system ignition believer. I have run my 0-360 A1A now for 85 hours and am impressed with the consistancy of the system. It keeps the CHT very uniform at cruise power settings and running at a good efficiency ratio. I have installed a little light that goes out when the system comes on and it has been flawless. And the redundency of 'normal' Slick mags if the electronic system fails is a big plus. BTW, I would recommned the 'bush' Lasar kit with the impulse mag option. And the support received from the people at Unison has been great, it is a certified system leading to my 25 hour Phase 1 fly-off...and it came with my engine i bought from Chuck!

Costly? But...so is flying!

Tailwinds,

I lost the love for my LASAR

I ran a LASAR system in my -4 for 7 years and recently removed it and installed PMags. The system worked fine, but there are very few out there, so no FBOs have the tools or knowledge to work on them. Parts and service are very expensive.

Last year, after a prop strike, I sent my engine to Mattituck for inspection and repair. Mattituck informed me it would cost $3K to merely inspect the LASAR system. If anything was found to be wrong the price would go up from there.

I took the opportunity to switch to PMags. I also heard that Unison sold the LASAR system and it is now sold and serviced by a new organization.

Regards,

... Mattituck informed me it would cost $3K to merely inspect the LASAR system. If anything was found to be wrong the price would go up from there...

$3K for an inspection! OUCH

For comparison, all E-mag Ignitions charged me to test, teardown, reassemble, and re-test both of my p-mags was the shipping there and back, $65 after my prop strike. Oh, and they found nothing wrong with them.

I hope the competition is listening for all of you guys who run traditional mags. Actually, what I hope is none of you ever have a prop strike.

Lots of info on these forums

Be sure to search these forums for Lasar, be sure to spell it as I just did.

The price you stated below seems to be too little additional to pay for the Lasar system above standard mags. The left Lasar mag alone is about $2600. They hugely raised (as in almost tripled) their prices a few years back. It would seem they want to get out of that business.

EI Ignition system and keep the mags

Have questions on EI, or mags, contact us, take a look at what we offer at G3i. Just google it (g3i ignition).

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Last edited:
Have questions on EI, or mags, contact us, take a look at what we offer at G3i. Just google it (g3i ignition).

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Thomas,

Could you estimate the weight delta for an installation using your product on a -10 (IO-540) compared to the frequently used approach of 1 LE and one mag? Obviously, with your product there are still two mags so there is additional weight there. Just wondering how it generally compares. Thanks.

Ei weight

Thomas,

Could you estimate the weight delta for an installation using your product on a -10 (IO-540) compared to the frequently used approach of 1 LE and one mag? Obviously, with your product there are still two mags so there is additional weight there. Just wondering how it generally compares. Thanks.

Hi Bill,
Interesting, I have never looked at a magneto as additional weight. The weight comparison on different types of installs, there are many possibilities. Here?s the link to our spec page. http://www.g3ignition.com/spec.html Easy math from there when you find out the weight of other EI packages.
Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

I'll go on the record as saying 'no' to Unison's LASAR system. I know of a case where it advanced the timing 40? degrees during high power flight, which resulting in detonating a <500hour IO-360-A1B6 in a PA28R. Expensive oops. Owner went to straight slicks after that. I'd rather do the G3i system that CAN'T advance timing that much due to the points...

Hi Bill,
Interesting, I have never looked at a magneto as additional weight. The weight comparison on different types of installs, there are many possibilities. Here?s the link to our spec page. http://www.g3ignition.com/spec.html Easy math from there when you find out the weight of other EI packages.
Thomas S.
www.g3ignition.com

Thomas,

This doesn't apply to the (I)O-540 but the P-mags save about a pound and a half over mags.