prkaye

Well Known Member
The Orndoff video suggests that one of the engine flange lugs will be marked as distinct from the rest, and that two of them will not protrude out past the flywheel. This is not the case with my Aerosport O-320 (set-up for fixed pitch).
Also there, appears to be no distinguishing markings on my Sabre prop extension lugs or holes. The instructions say to torque the bolts in the crossing pattern (1,4,6,3,5,2). Is there any preferred orientation? Or can I just assign the number 1 to a lug arbitrarily and number around from there?

The Orndoff video suggests that one of the engine flange lugs will be marked as distinct from the rest, and that two of them will not protrude out past the flywheel. This is not the case with my Aerosport O-320 (set-up for fixed pitch).
Also there, appears to be no distinguishing markings on my Sabre prop extension lugs or holes. The instructions say to torque the bolts in the crossing pattern (1,4,6,3,5,2). Is there any preferred orientation? Or can I just assign the number 1 to a lug arbitrarily and number around from there?

Take another look, Phil. The flywheel can only be mounted in one position, since it contains the timing marks for the engine. At least, it was for mine, which is an Aerosport engine as well. On mine, one of the bolt retainers on the flange was different.

The identification numbers are not absolute (or don't have to be), but describe a criss-cross pattern to even out the torque. Gradually torque them, going over the described pattern several times, until you reach the correct torque value. No different than correctly torquing your car wheels.

The flywheel is already on (came on from Aerosport), and I haven't moved it (it has alternator belt in place - again done by aerosport).
So I guess my question is really about the orientation of the Sabre prop extension... any preferred orientation?

Extension

Phil,
On my extension from Sensenich it had two locating pins that go into the prop hub. They will only go(orient) one way and allow the 6 bolts to pass through to be screwed into the flywheel bushings. Most turn flywheel to TDC, and mount prop/extension combo at 9 & 3 o'clock, so that if you have to prop start your engine you will have pulled through TDC and your hands are out of the way. Others 'clock' their prop after flying to get the best/least vibrations due to individual harmonics of prop/engine combo. Make sense? If no locating pins on your extension to go into your prop, I guess that you can mount it any way that you like so long as the prop bolts can pass through prop/extension/flywheel. If further help needed you probably need to contact extension manufacturer or prop manufacturer.
Mike H 9A/8A

Thanks Mike,
I heard back from Sabre... they confirmed that their extension can be mounted in any orientation.