jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
My new Superior engine is supposed to arrive this Friday. I am interesed in finding out about AN fittings for the engine. Do I use aluminum or steel AN fittings? I of course am referring to the various connections for Oil pressure, Oil Cooler, Fuel etc. Any chance that the engine already comes with the fittings installed.
I want to do the right thing so please give me your thought.
I would really appreciate any detailed help.
Regards

Jeff,

I recently built a Superior IO360 (on a 9A) and most of the fittings are installed when you get it. Those that are not are included in Vans FWF kit. Most are steel. I would wait and see just what you are likely to need after you get the engine and hang it.

greg

fittings

Instering question.. The oil return fittings on all Lycomings are alum.
Most like steel for oil cooler to case. Vans has alum in the FWF kit. I have been using what is supplied. SO far so good.....I think ? it dosent matter.

Steel for oil lines

Based on the recommendation of a 25+ years aviation maintenance professional, I ordered steel fittings for oil cooler lines - both on the engine and on the oil cooler.

You can get steel AN fittings at the local hydraulic store also. About half the price of aircraft and they have shapes and sizes for everything.. Also speed shops/ catalogs have aeroquip hose and fittings again about half price for the same quality. (the fittings on the Van's hoses are the speed shop type). Pacific Oil Cooler says to never use aluminum fittings in oil coolers only steel. Don

Half the price?

I thought they were more like a 1/3rd..either way your local hydraulics shoppe is a wonderful place to go and can make any hose your heart desires except you'll have to provide your own firesleeve for the fuel lines.

Frank

The advice being...?

Based on the recommendation of a 25+ years aviation maintenance professional, I ordered steel fittings for oil cooler lines - both on the engine and on the oil cooler.

What was the reasoning provided, Rick?