I have an engine driven fuel pump that has been sitting around for a few years without any use. Is this something that either works or doesn't work or would you recommend I just run it or get it overhauled? Can you point me towards someone that overhauls them?
Thanks,
John

I just replaced one yesterday. They can "get weak" and demonstrate irratic pressure like mine did. If I were you, I would just get another one. Sitting that long cannot be good for it. JMHO.

Last edited:
I have an engine driven fuel pump that has been sitting around for a few years without any use. Is this something that either works or doesn't work or would you recommend I just run it or get it overhauled? Can you point me towards someone that overhauls them?
Thanks,
John

Don't know how healthy your pump would be, but a mechanical pump can certainly exist somewhere between dead and healthy. I recently replaced the low pressure pump on my O-320 because of heart palpitations brought on by hearing the engine suddenly and unpredictably losing rpm. The new Tempest pump seems to have cleared up all the problems.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/TEMPEST-FP-APP-LYC.pdf

Cheap Insurance

John,

I bought a remanufactured one through Aircraft Spruce last summer when I rebuilt my core. I figured it was cheap insurance for a critical component on my engine. If its not getting fuel it isn't going to fly very far. Sent the carb out for overhaul at the same time.

The engine driven fuel pump on my RV-6 a few years ago had an AD and had to be replaced. Make sure you have a good one before you spend money on a rebuild. You may want to consider two electric pumps instead too, as discussed on this forum.