alcladrv

Well Known Member
This issue relates to my O-360 engine on my RV-7A. The overflow line from my engine driven fuel pump has developed a noticeable and persistent dripping of oil after flights. After shutdown, a small drop from the overflow line will show up having an oily feel to it. After sitting about 20 minutes during a fuel stop, the drops on the ground will be very numerous and will not evaporate as if they are primarily avgas.

After sitting overnight, the oil puddle just aft of the nosewheel fairing on the ground is about 6" diameter. This has started after the past 5 flights, from 20 minutes to 2 hours of flying. Any ideas on diagnosing this?

It's really difficult to tell if the amount of oil lost adds noticeably to my oil consumption, but after several flights, there is a fair amount of oil on the belly.

Thanks,Mike

Since this port is intentionally designed to indicate a leak in a safe way, why wouldn't you heed it's warning and just replace the pump?

Here is an excellent thread about the construction of the pump http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=73721&highlight=pump+spills+guts

There is a part 2 thread as well. Since there are no kits or serviceable parts for the inside, this thread should give you confidence there is no other option but to replace.

Last edited:
That's why I asked the question so I could learn what the overflow drops were telling me. Is the part number mentioned in the post, "Lycoming LW-15473", the correct part number for an O-360?

Thanks, Mike