RVG8tor

Well Known Member
OK I am trying to narrow down my engine choice. First I don't have the money to go for the 200HP model. So I am left with the 180HP, and I want FI. So that means IO-360. Now comes the induction question, it seems to be a $1000 to get horizontal induction instead of the standard vertical induction. I know I might gain some HP due to ram rise with the proper intake housing using the horizontal induction. I am also concerned about creating more work than I want to at this point. BTW I would use the cowl with the scoop to get the best ram rise. I like the scoop!

I am hoping one of you guys that know more than I can give me some pros and cons of each. What fits the best and is not a lot of extra work, horizontal or vertical. At this point I am not sure if the horizontal is worth the extra money and I don't know if it is more trouble to install. Thanks for any help, I must say it is difficult to get the information I need without being at an airshow. I guess I will have to make sure I get to SnF this year.

Cheers

Engine choice

... Thanks for any help, I must say it is difficult to get the information I need without being at an airshow. I guess I will have to make sure I get to SnF this year.

Cheers
I agree. One way is to call each of the engine builders and let them convince you that theirs is best, but I'm one of these strange people that like to see things in writing. I believe it's high time someone like Kitplanes did a really detailed comparison of all the engine builders - sort of like a Consumer Reports article. :) I still can't figure out why the builders don't put more details on their websites. It can't possibly be an effective use of their time to talk to every prospective builder, can it?

Vertical

I went with the ECI IO360 and Bendix Precision injection. This is a vertical set up that was pretty easy to deal with. I also like the scoop. The only thing I did differently was make a new mounting plate for the FAB box on the intake to better align the intake with the snoot.

If you are going to go simple, the possible HP or two gain from Horizontal is not worth the BS factor. My opinion only.

I went with the ECI IO360 and Bendix Precision injection. This is a vertical set up that was pretty easy to deal with. I also like the scoop. The only thing I did differently was make a new mounting plate for the FAB box on the intake to better align the intake with the snoot.

If you are going to go simple, the possible HP or two gain from Horizontal is not worth the BS factor. My opinion only.

I did the same thing for the same reasons. I also found installation quite easy.

I just converted mine from Carb to the AFP FI which is basically what you are looking for it sounds like. The conversion was very straight forward and the AFP servo replaces the carb perfectly. Cables, cable brackets, fuel lines etc. are different and but the cowling fit perfect with no changes. I am very pleased with the performance of the injection and the support from AFP has been superb. I have seen some of the "complications" invloved with the Horizontal induction, the vertical is is a much simpler install and I like the scoop too!

By the way, some people may not realize it but the flat bottom 200hp cowl is also about 2" wider than the standard 360 180hp cowl so I theorize drag is probably about the same for both.