briand

Well Known Member
Can anyone give specifics on new engine deals offered last year at Osh? I want to order soon but if there is any chance I might be able to get a break I will wait.

I know Superior had some deals last year. Something like a grand off and free shipping? Don't recall what the others had, but I know there were other deals.

Subaru%20Power%20avitar.jpg

Superior's deals

Last years AirVenture deal from Superior was $500 off plus free shipping in addition to their new lower prices for 2006.

Had to take delivery by 12/31/06 (which I did).

I took the plunge and bought an XP IO-360 (Airmotive Performance), roller lifters, constant speed ready for $20,900.00 (3 yr warranty).

Couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately I haven't hung the engine yet, but the box looks real nice in the middle of the shop.................... :)

I imagine the same deal might be available this year.

Paul
RV-4/RV-7A finishing kit

Thanks guys, $20,900 sounds good. Vertical Induction? Currently that set-up is $23,015 from Superior. So it sounds like it will be worth waiting to check out.

Do you have to be present at AirVenture to take advantage of Dealer Discounts?
Do the vendors also post the promotions on their Websites during the show?
Thx

I bought mine at Osh last year. Aerosport typicaly offers free shipping/crating/customs if you buy at the show.

I highly recommend Aerosport...they have been tremendous to deal with.

Scott
7A Finishing

apples to oranges

You can't exactly compare the 23k to the 20k and think you are going to be getting a better deal. There are far too many options that drive the price. What kind of fuel injection, what compression cylinders, what mags... get the picture? You have to decide what you want, then ask each to price it and decide your price based on that. Then you have the warranty, you pay for it directly with Superior if you want 3 years - ask them when it starts too, some start immediately from delivery. ECI and Aerosport both start theirs from when you start the engine, last I heard. They also both routinely include the 3 year warranty in their base price. Aerosport is a fine company from everything I have heard, but do you want to deal with Canada if you are in Texas? :confused: There are good engine builders all over the US. Reputation is worth a lot. It doesn't matter where you end up buying your engine, unless you get a really sour deal you will probably be telling everyone a year from now why your particular engine type is THE one to buy. :rolleyes: Do your research, buy what you want - don't worry, be happy. My only other thought is try and stay a little more standard to Van's recommendations and you will have less issues to deal with. But, this is an experimental - have fun with it.

Maybe I can't tell you which one you should buy because I haven't bought mine yet. :D I can tell you I priced engines at OSH last year, from my list of options I came up with I didn't see a lot of difference from not being at OSH.

Stewart

As mentioned Superior offered a $1k discount and reduced price at their Texas build shop for OSH attendees. I was very impressed with the quality of the Thielert supplied crank, cam and rods. Still amounting to $20k-ish for a ready-to-fly O320 w/carb, hollow crank, mags.

On the other hand, ECI sells product through a dealer network so your prices will vary around the country. Same ECI engine config (w/100% PMA parts) as above can be had for $16k-ish plus assembly.

Steve

Warranty Service

Don't let a border discourage consideration of ASP. Unless you and your engine builder share a zip code, warranty work will require letters, phones, and involve local A&Ps and common carriers. Question your prospects sharply about how they would handle a problem and/or warranty claim. Save your engine box JIC.

ASP dealt with a sick Superior cylinder by letting me choose my A&P to swing the wrenches, and the new jug was dropped shipped to me. All was reimbursed.

On a different engine, Ly-Con had an A&P contact on the field R&R a jug and ship/receive because of some fin flashing removal that although not strictly warranty was a workmanship issue. No cost to me. The carb I pulled and sent back for another issue. They turned it the same day.

ECi was great to deal with on meeting an AD requiring topping a third engine. My choice of A&P, no cost, swift response.

Hartzell was a PITA but still came through. The difficulty has to do with using only their approved shops for warranty work. A local shop could have done the work in three days instead of three weeks. Again, no cost, but it was more hassle.

The conclusion: Aviation is borderless. Buy selection, honor, and price.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

looking inside

Pmerems said:
Last years AirVenture deal from Superior was $500 off plus free shipping in addition to their new lower prices for 2006.

Had to take delivery by 12/31/06 (which I did).

I took the plunge and bought an XP IO-360 (Airmotive Performance), roller lifters, constant speed ready for $20,900.00 (3 yr warranty).

Couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately I haven't hung the engine yet, but the box looks real nice in the middle of the shop.................... :)

I imagine the same deal might be available this year.

Paul
RV-4/RV-7A finishing kit
you may want to keep a check on the dessicant plugs so you can refresh them occasionally. (to return them to their dark blue color. i take mine apart one at the time and microwave the beads to dry them back out.)

Last edited:
cytoxin said:
you may want to keep a check on the dessicant plugs so you can refresh them occasionally. (to return them to their dark blue color. i take mine apart one at the time and microwave the beads to dry them back out.)

Works fine on the beads - hard on the microwave!