eric_marsh

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm interested in learning to fly and have gotten sidetracked looking at building an aircraft. Money is tight but if I could pull it off it would be neat. One of the models I'm looking at is the RV-7. What sort of a price could I expect to pay for a good used engine?

Thanks,

Eric

The engine will be one of the more expensive components if you build an RV. I agree that buying a brand new, built & tested engine (0-360 variety) will cost over $20k. But it doesn't have to be that expensive to get a new engine.

If you're willing to build it yourself (or with the help of an A&P), you can buy a kit engine and save several thousand dollars. My ECI 0-360 ended up costing right at $17k. This included the engine, accessories (starter, dual P-mags, etc) and the cost of hiring an A&P for about 11 hours.

Don't forget to add in the cost of other items, though. Firewall forward kit (~$2,500, propeller, etc). Everything adds up!

Thanks for the feedback. I used to rebuild automotive engines for a living and have literally put together many hundreds or even thousands of engines. So the assembly part shouldn't be a problem.

IMHO, get back on track and learn to fly first. Then decide if you want to buy or build, and what to build. Learning to fly will help you decide what type of flying you want to do and that will help you decide which type of plane is suited for your purpose. Good luck. :)

IMHO, get back on track and learn to fly first. Then decide if you want to buy or build, and what to build. Learning to fly will help you decide what type of flying you want to do and that will help you decide which type of plane is suited for your purpose. Good luck. :)

Of course that makes perfect sense. When I attack a subject my investigations usually cover a lot of ground so that I can make more informed decisions as I go along.