Harold Lanfear

Well Known Member
After much searching of the plans, I finally found the locations, etc for the throttle, mixture and prop cables through the gear tower - but only after I got some no-so-subtle clues (like "see drw 30") from the VAF archives.

I still have this question; when I cut the 'sort of' trianglular hole (from archives; much thanks guys for the posts, as I would not have figured that one out for myself versus the plain circle in the plans) for the control cables; did any of you provide any type of chafe protection.

Has anbody drilled separate holes and used grommets; or is the extra space needed to thread the cables through the tower?

Thanks much,

One way to do it:

We drilled holes thru the gear tower in the triangular pattern you described. They're just big enough to get the control cable housings through. The cables were installed and adjusted, jam nuts tightened up. Then we masked the cables off during cockpit painting.

To provide a chafe guard where the cables go through the front of the gear tower, you can use grommets or short lengths of rubber hose. To do this, simply slit the grommet or hose to let it separate and slip over the cable. Then you can press the grommet/hose into place around the cable where it goes through the holes.

I used a extra long drill bit 12 inch x .25 , and drilled through both sides of the tower with the long bit . I enlarged the .25 hole with a step drill to the proper size for the snap bushings .