airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
In my 9A with IO360 engine, I'm running a Superior forward-facing cold-air induction sump with Bendix injection. The standard Vans throttle and mixture cables are too short to reach the injector body control arms, they are the 50.5" models recommended for the 7A with IO360, but measuring them out today it appears I need 55" throttle and 59" mixture - but these are not offered by Vans.

First question - is there a place to order custom-length control cables?

Second question - I know there are quite a few cold-air injected engines flying - how did you guys solve this problem?

Odd...

I too have a superior the only difference is with airflow silverhawk servo. With the plans called out locations for firewall penetrations the listed applications worked fairly well. I spent a few months contemplating cable lengths and finally got started by help from this forum. Pretty much a guarantee someone on this site is an expert! :)

You can order custom length ones right from Vans. I did years ago.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

In my 9A with IO360 engine, I'm running a Superior forward-facing cold-air induction sump with Bendix injection. The standard Vans throttle and mixture cables are too short to reach the injector body control arms, they are the 50.5" models recommended for the 7A with IO360, but measuring them out today it appears I need 55" throttle and 59" mixture - but these are not offered by Vans.

First question - is there a place to order custom-length control cables?

Second question - I know there are quite a few cold-air injected engines flying - how did you guys solve this problem?

Is it your panel and not the custom engine?
That can make 1 or 2 inches difference if the panel is not per plans.

Alternate sources are McFarlane and Spruce (Spruce sells ACS brand).

If you have Vans cables, read the ACS number off of the label, convert it to what you need and then order it.

My panel is plans-standard, no changes there. Firewall holes are also plans-standard, the only real difference is that I'm running an IO360 on a 9A with Superior cold-air sump.

I'll contact Vans and see if I can get the custom length cables. I saw that Spruce has them also, but only in 12" incremental lengths. That would fit my mixture cable just fine but my throttle cable is right in the middle, I'm not sure I can absorb 6" of extra cable length in the routing without causing excess bending that would add friction.

I ordered my custom length cables from Aircraft Spruce. You can order them with or without the sheathing. Very reasonably priced compared to the McFarlane cables.

You can get extensions from Spruce, that is what I did when I changed to the ram air setup.

You can see them attached to the control cables in this photo. As I recall, they are available in 2,4, or 6 inch sizes.

P6120010%2520%25282%2529.jpg

You can get extensions from Spruce, that is what I did when I changed to the ram air setup.

You can see them attached to the control cables in this photo. As I recall, they are available in 2,4, or 6 inch sizes.

P6120010%2520%25282%2529.jpg

AAAHhhhhh - now THAT'S helpful! Thanks!