chaskuss

Well Known Member
Listers,
This is for those 8/8A drivers with an IO-360 and horizontal fuel servos (rear governor) How long are your three control cables? Did you need custom cables? I'm assuming you had to fabricate or modify the cable mounting brackets. I've got the CT83F deluxe throttle quadrant.
Charlie Kuss

52", 55" and 60" IIRC, but I can't remember which was which. The throttle cable was a bit short (by a couple of inches) so i go the standard RV10 cable, which is a little long but does the job nicely.

I had to fabricate the throttle bracket (not that difficult) and modify the mixture bracket to fit on my SUpeirior IO360 (bit more difficult and required some welding).

Setting up the prop governer was a bit aof a struggle until I found out that the set-up for the bracket and governer on a Superior looked nothing like the set-up on a Lycoming.

If I can get into the hangar tooorrow (difficult at present because it's snowed in - yup even in England) I'll check the lengths.

Chris

Charlie,

I have an IO360M1B and I used 60, 55 and 52.5 inches. For some reason Van's specs 60, 60 and 55 inch cables in their FWF package for the M1B. The other 60 is way too long. The 52.5 inch cable does not show up in the catalog, but is a stocked item at Van's. I have the same quadrant and a PCU5000 governor and everything seems to fit well.

Paul

60, 52.5,48 for IO-360-A1A

Hi,
I have an IO-360-A1A with stock Bendix servo (horizontal induction).
I have the delux quadrant, and an MT governer.

The 60" cable was a wee bit long for the throttle, but workable.

I used the Mixture bracket/bellcrank set-up that Van's sells, and this needs a 52.5" cable (which as noted above, is a standard length although not listed as such)

The prop governer cable needed to be only 48", which is fortunately also a standard length. I used the governer cable bracket that Vans sells ( only one style now, use to be two) but I modified it just a tweak, as follows:

Vans shows the pushrod from the cable angling through the middle of the bracket and connecting the governer control arm with the rod end on the fwd side (between the arm and the governer itself) This is a nightmare, you can't get the proper length bolt in there. So you end up installing it all together, then mounting the governer to the engine last. Yuck - what if you need to undo it someday?
A better way - heat up the end mounting tab on the mounting bracket and bend it 180 degrees so now the cable attaches aft of the bracket instead of fwd. It no longer has to go through the middle of the bracket at an angle, and the rod end attaches to the aft side of the governor control arm. WAY Mo' better.

Hope this saves you some of the struggles I had. BTW I still have an extra 55" cable I'll sell,

How about for a EIC IO,Horizontal sump?

Anyone know the lengths to throttle and mixture for an ECI FI system? I bought the mixture bracket from Robby Attaway. I was guessing the stock 60 inch for the throttle and maybe the 50 or 48 for the mixture (it is on the fuel pump which is left of where the prop govener would be mounted).

hi,

people, the thread was started regarding the installation with a ECI cold air sump as well as ECI fuel injection... NOT your regular lycoming/bendix system... same mixup happened on another thread recently regarding boost pumps...

we tackled the same problems 2 years ago and raised the issue with ECI.
they could help installation looong ways by offering "official" brackets.
at least to my knowledge, there are still no OEM brackets from either ECI that fit nor can the Van's brackets be made to fit :-(

For the mixture bracket (the one for the lever at the fuel pump) we bought a very nice bracket from robby attaway at attawayair.com. you have to contact him though, it's not listed or pictured anywhere as far as i know.
since we have a custom center console, i cannot help with cable types/lengths. for the mixture, in our instance we wanted a nice red vernier and needed custom length, so we had to get a very very expensive cable from aircraft spruce (150$+!).

for the throttle, the van's bracket would almost fit but not quite.
so we had to come up with our own bracket.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34654&highlight=eci+bracket
http://www.flyvans.com/builder/ecithrottlebracket.pdf
is a throttle bracket that mounts to the bottom of the sump.
for the throttle cable we used a van's cable but again at custom length due to the center console.

another tricky thing with the ECI cold air induction sump is that only one type of exhaust fits! and that is the vetterman 4-into-4, not enough space for anything else.
at least on our 7a.

rgds,
bernie

ECI in first post??

"people, the thread was started regarding the installation with a ECI cold air sump as well as ECI fuel injection... " I don't see any reference to this in post #1. Maybe I am looking at something different? Dave

ECI, not exactly

Bernie,
I was the one who started this thread. I WAS referring to the conventional fuel injection set up for an IO-360 engine. That said, thanks for adding useful info to the thread and giving it a "bump". :p
Another lister [Bud] added a second question regarding the ECI system. Thanks for answering his question.

Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
charlie and everybody,

sorry for misreading then...
not trying to insult anybody.
engines are complicated in all their configurations.
just wanted to share some of the uphill climb we went through.

another rant in that regard:
neither van's nor spruce publishes any documentation regarding their push-pull cables, outside diameter of the mounting threads, length of the threads, distance from rod-end etc... so before the brackets can be finalized, you practically need the cable or at least one of the same type to adjust.

rgds,
bernie