N2820L

I'm New Here
Brief explanation: I'm a new guy on the site and I'm sure this question has been answered numerous times buy I couldn't find a sure answer in my search. I apologize in advance for asking the same question for the 100th time if that's the case!

I'm getting ready to start a -8 project and didn't think I would be looking for an engine for quite some time so I haven't put a lot of thought into it until yesterday when I was offered an AEIO-360 H1A for a price that is very hard to turn down. I need to act fast on the engine but I want to make sure that this will be a good option for the RV-8. It is a conical mount engine with vertical draft intake and a constant speed prop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It should work fine as long as you get the correct tubular engine mount to go with it. It is pretty much just a aerobatic, fuel injected, conical mount version of an O-360-A1A.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Welcome to the forum.

Mahlon IS the engine expert, he knows what he is talking about!

Just don't forget to pickle that engine as it will be some time before you use it.

Thanks Mahlon and N941WR! I'm going ahead with the engine since it's a deal I can't pass on.
Great Community on this site! Glad to be a new member

Overall Engine Compatibility

This thread asks and answers a good question, but I was hoping for a more general answer.

Is there a reference that shows which O-320/O-360 engines are compatible with which RV models? I read a lot about induction systems, oil pans, engine mounts, and of course Lycoming has its own Byzantine numerology. Pardon me if the question has been raised before, but...

How do I know which Lycoming engines I can use in my RV-6?

Thanks,

Rob

"There is a rumor that Lycoming once produced two engines that were identical, but it has been proven to be an urban legend...." (don't know where I read that, but is both funny, and most likely true)

I don't think that there is an easy answer to your question Rob. I think I understand what you want - a simple list of engines that will "fit". But "fit" is a difficult concept in itself, since there are many different ways to hook things up. There are engines with physical interference problems (like aft-mounted carbs), and then ones that fit in the mount, but are difficult to connect. It can become a question of how much work it takes to make it fit!

The easiest way to make SURE that something will fit is to use the exact model that Van's sells. Others will work, but which ones? Tough question....

Paul

Lycoming

Lycoming publishs a Guide to Certificated Engines. They give them away at Oshkosh or you can order one and pay for it. They may also be available on the Lyc website. The book also tells you what production airplanes used certain engines.
The two "killer items" for any installation are the type of engine mounting and the dual mag. It is not economically feasable to convert the dual mag to a two mag setup. You CAN run dual electronic ignition.
If you are overhauling the engine, the case may be converted to a different mount configuration for a reasonable price.
The other differences are not a big deal, especially if you are buying a core engine to overhaul. For example, converting a rear mounted injector to front mount:
Some of the sumps may be modified, there are companys that do this. Worst case you sell the old sump and buy a used serviceable front mount sump. Or spend a whole lot more money and buy an aftermarket cold air sump and intake pipes. The above does not address the 0 320H engine which is entirely different.

The Lycoming engine specification data booklet is also valuable in identifying which engines have a solid crank shaft. For example the 0360A4M, which is the engine in many Cherokee 180's, has a solid crank and therefore not much good if a CS prop is desired. (except when going with an electric MT)

I bought a Lycoming kit through Barrett Precision Engines and thought I wanted a solid crank since I had some experience with the A4M in another airplane. At that earlier time, an old FAA inspector was somewhat of a mentor and he said that engine is about as bullet proof as they come. BPA talked me out of the solid crank, reason being it would be special order, it restricted the engine to a FP prop and it weighed 8 pounds more than a hollow crank. The only issue was whether or not to install the aft plug and punch it or leave it out all together, which is what we did.

There are a gazillion considerations in selecting an engine and that Lycoming booklet is a good item to have on your shelf in sorting it all out. They have been published for years and are loaded with information on every engine they ever produced.

pay now, or later

I'm not an engine expert, but.....

any engine that is 'just a little different' than the Van's specified one, can cause grief ( $$$) later when trying to make it work, depending on your knowlege, ability level, and proximity to a friendly builder who is an AME!

what I mean is, if your sump doesn't work, and you have to buy a new one, don't count on yours being sellable, 'cause the other 7,000 builders are looking for the same thing!

the comment to go with a 180 hp is serious......especially if we are lowering octane in the near future, a relatively low comp 180hp is preferable than a jazzed up 150 -160 that will not be happy on the new gas. Easier to throttle back for economy that find another 20 hp when you need it on takeoff!
( Nitrous?)

my .02 worth of armchair quarterbacking!

Is this engine a good buy?

Maybe..............but I doubt it! You can search for threads on this subject, but a used engine is a complete mystery. You need to have this engine disassembled and completely inspected by a qualified engine overhauler to know if what you have is a good deal, or a pile of junk! Like a book, you can't tell anything about it from the outside. If I were you, I'd pass on the engine at this point in your build, and learn all you can over the next year or so, and then purchase the right engine for your new RV later.