Steve Brown

Well Known Member
I have an annual condition inspection coming up and I think I need to clean the motor as part of it.

How is this done in a "eco-friendly" way?

My home port, PAO, is about 100 feet from the bay and 4' MSL

Inside or Out?

Your may want to specify whether your intention is to clean the inside or the outside of the engine?

Engine cleaning using a spray wand (Aircraft Tool and Supply, item no. 37CB) that sucks Mineral Spirits with high pressure air and splashes the solvent on the engine works well. Not a lot of solvent is used and it can be absorbed with newspaper or paper towels. Much of the solvent will evaporate but this is what happens when Mineral Spirits is used to thin paint. This is what I have observed A&P's using and I have done it this way with good results.

Thanks Jim

Engine cleaning using a spray wand (Aircraft Tool and Supply, item no. 37CB) that sucks Mineral Spirits with high pressure air and splashes the solvent on the engine works well. Not a lot of solvent is used and it can be absorbed with newspaper or paper towels. Much of the solvent will evaporate but this is what happens when Mineral Spirits is used to thin paint. This is what I have observed A&P's using and I have done it this way with good results.

This looks like the way to go. Palo alto is fanatic about pollution.

Get a can of Gunk or equivalent...does a good job, water-based but don't blast water on the mags or alternator very heavily...you'll be fine.
Glenn Wilkinson