rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I have been researching different engine choices for the -12. I really have no problems with the Rotex choice Vans made with one exception ? limited ceiling. The UL engine, the Viking, and the Jason Parker 912-914 conversion are a few of the possibilities.

Besides Don, is anyone else considering the Viking or one of the other engines? I saw the video on EAA about the -12 with the Viking and it looked pretty nice. I know there are -12?s flying in Colorado now that have proven to be great high altitude planes, I am just looking for a bit extra to get the -12 at altitude with full payload and not be limited to an early morning take off.

My concerns are mostly structurally. I asked Vans in an email about mounting the 914 and was told it wouldn?t be a good idea since it was designed for the 912. I completely respect that and know if they could offer a different engine, they probably would. I also understand liability and legal issues involved in a company recommending a different engine. I would think that restrictions on an engine would mostly be weight and vibration. Having not seen the -12 kit yet and not being an engineer, I have no way of even guessing if it possible to make the 914 even fit and still be safe. Im not looking for speed but better takeoff power and higher altitude operations.

If I didn?t care about the 1320lb LSA limit, any thoughts on what a real world gross limit would be for the 12? Maybe I am trying too hard to turn the -12 into a -9. I love how quick the -12 has been going together and the ease of construction. I would love it to be faster, but the artificial FAA limits placed on LSA, have restricted what the 12 could be in my opinion. I would appreciate others thoughts on engine possibilities and what the structure would still be safe at for a gross weight.

Thanks, Rockwood

I asked about the benefit of a 914 over a 912. I was told that unless you use a variable pitch prop much of the altitude benefit of the 914 is lost. This takes you out of the LSA category. There have been other threads about altitude and safety. I think the best answer was if you need more high altitude capability, build an RV-9

Check your PM's.

I have been researching different engine choices for the -12. I really have no problems with the Rotex choice Vans made with one exception ? limited ceiling. The UL engine, the Viking, and the Jason Parker 912-914 conversion are a few of the possibilities.

Besides Don, is anyone else considering the Viking or one of the other engines? I saw the video on EAA about the -12 with the Viking and it looked pretty nice. I know there are -12?s flying in Colorado now that have proven to be great high altitude planes, I am just looking for a bit extra to get the -12 at altitude with full payload and not be limited to an early morning take off.

My concerns are mostly structurally. I asked Vans in an email about mounting the 914 and was told it wouldn?t be a good idea since it was designed for the 912. I completely respect that and know if they could offer a different engine, they probably would. I also understand liability and legal issues involved in a company recommending a different engine. I would think that restrictions on an engine would mostly be weight and vibration. Having not seen the -12 kit yet and not being an engineer, I have no way of even guessing if it possible to make the 914 even fit and still be safe. Im not looking for speed but better takeoff power and higher altitude operations.

If I didn?t care about the 1320lb LSA limit, any thoughts on what a real world gross limit would be for the 12? Maybe I am trying too hard to turn the -12 into a -9. I love how quick the -12 has been going together and the ease of construction. I would love it to be faster, but the artificial FAA limits placed on LSA, have restricted what the 12 could be in my opinion. I would appreciate others thoughts on engine possibilities and what the structure would still be safe at for a gross weight.

Thanks, Rockwood