rwshooter

Well Known Member
Now that I have my panel pretty much picked out for my 7A........I'm looking at engine choices.....I 've read so much info that I'm getting confused. to get 200 HP out of an IO360 you gotta beef it up quite a bit (that spells unreliable to me)in the long run.. and it costs alot to get it... Does it make sense to any of you guy's to just buy an IO390, get 210HP or so, all from a stock, relatively low compression engine that makes power from cubic inches?(smells of better reliability) And costs less too! Go figure....Need help with my madness:D

Robb.....finishing first wing

Lycoming

IO 360's come in parallel valve and angle valve varieties. IO 360 A1A is angle valve with front horizontal fuel injection and is rated stock at 200 hp. IO 360 B4A is parallel valve with vertical sump bottom mount injector and is rated at 180 hp. The angle valve A1A is used on the Mooney 201 and the B4A on the Pitts S1S. The Pitts may also use an AEIO 360B4A, but it is really the same engine with a bolt on inverted oil system. The concensus seems to be that the stock angle valve engines will usually produce rated horsepower while the parallel valve falls a bit short. A hot rodded IO 360A1A will reliably produce 220 h.p., some claim much more, but I am skeptical of any claims over 220. TBO depends on how hard you run it. Aerobatic airplanes run as little as 700 hours TBO with 10 to 1 pistons. Typically at 7-800 hours the rod bearings are worn to the point where oil pressure is low. Look up some of the posts on Dave Anders RV4. Dave has perhaps the most radically modified IO360 angle valve in daily use, he has been flying it for years.

Now that I have my panel pretty much picked out for my 7A........I'm looking at engine choices.....I 've read so much info that I'm getting confused. to get 200 HP out of an IO360 you gotta beef it up quite a bit (that spells unreliable to me)in the long run.. and it costs alot to get it... Does it make sense to any of you guy's to just buy an IO390, get 210HP or so, all from a stock, relatively low compression engine that makes power from cubic inches?(smells of better reliability) And costs less too! Go figure....Need help with my madness:D

Robb.....finishing first wing

One data point..
My TMX-IO 360 M1B with one LSI and 9:1 pistons made 195 hp in the test cell and was 30 pounds lighter than an angle valve 200 hp engine. I don't think it's beefed up enough to affect reliability one iota, unless I do something stupid to cause detonation. I was told by a different, but very well known engine shop that most stock angle valve IO-360's make only about 196 hp on the dyno. An IO-390 was much higher priced than the engine that I bought at the time. (Like $6,000 IIRC).

That being said: If I did it again, I might go with the same engine without the high compression pistons due to the avgas availability questions. One thing I learned in my youth the hard way with muscle cars: There will always be someone who can afford to go faster than me.

IO-390 is a bored and stroked IO-360 angle valve

The IO-390 is simply a bored and stroked IO-360 angle valve engine. The IO-390 is rated 210 HP, the IO-360 is 200 HP

The older parallel valve IO-360 is rated 180 HP.

Van's sells the 200 HP angle valve IO-360 for 6,300 (26%) more than the 180 HP parallel valve engine. The IO-390 costs even more.

Whoa! Wait a Minute

There's some mis-information here on a couple of points. 1) The 180 parallel head IO-360 is rated at and consistently puts out 180 hp in stock compression. It is certainly capable of 192-195 hp with forward facing sump and 9:1 compression, so I don't doubt that a bit. In addition, the 9:1 compression should not affect the TBO of the engine.

However, the angle head 360 with stock compression does not generally produce 200 hp. The 196 hp data point probably came from our shop with many, many years of dyno testing. If you take it to 10:1 compression, you might get 210 hp, but you will get an engine with 1/2 the life of a stock compression engine. Engine management can be more difficult with high compressions, and are especially not encouraged in our shop if you are going to be doing a lot of cross-country flight.

The IO-390 is not a stroked engine. It does have larger bore cylinders however, and is 8.9:1 compression due to the larger bore. It does produce a true 210 hp on a consistent basis.

Hmmm. Why would 9:1 compression not affect TBO for the parallel valved engine, but 10:1 compression on the angle valved engine result in 1/2 life? Not doubting you, just trying to understand why.

erich

ok Rhonda.........Should I buy a 390 from your dad?:) I'm definately leaning that way right now.........but still researching....anyone out there with a 390 and been flying for a while?

Robb

Engine Choice

Erich:

With the 7A, I personally would go with the lighter parallel valve IO-360 and have Rhonda and Gang at Barrett do their magic on it and up the HP to the 190+ range. The reason is that; there will be 40 lbs less on the nose gear than with the IO-360/IO-390 angle valve version. I doubt that you will be able to tell the difference in performance.

This will certainly make your nose gear happier!

The old saying that "there's no replacement for displacement" (and hp) still holds true.

That said; Tom at Van's once told me that "a 150hp RV is NOT an underpowered airplane".

Prop choice

That is relevant too. If you are planning on a CS prop then fine. If not, consider making that a priority.

Mannan........you make a good point about weight. I wasnt too concerned with the extra weight as I've read that the 7 can be a little tail heavy during/after fuel burn......But now you bring up the nose wheel....Hmmm......So I could get 190+ HP, 40# less weight and reliable. this sounds reasonable. whats the compression on that engine Rhonda?.....One other reason I'm thinking more power is the DA around here during spring and summer, Las Vegas, you can see some big numbers so I thought more power = a little safer....maybe....or maybe I'm just power hungry:D.....I'm gonna figure it out, just want to make the right choice the first time....I'd hate to buy say 180 HP......and then want 210 and have to buy another. Again....are there any 390's flying out there?

Robb

The Angle valve head flows better at high RPM's, if you look at the torque curve for the IO-360-A vs an IO-360-M you'll find that they make almost identical power up to around 2400rpm, with the angle starting to edge the parallel out once you get into the 2500-2700 range.

That said, the counterweighted crank is a lot of the weight difference in the two engines, so an IO-360-A1A would probably weight a little less than the IO-360-A1B6 that Van's sells. I'd go either IO-390 OR IO-360-M series. Lycoming is really trying to discontinue the IO-360-A series in favor of the IO-390 because the lower compression will be more compatable with future fuels they think (per Lyc booth at Osh '08).

DA?

Mannan........you make a good point about weight. I wasnt too concerned with the extra weight as I've read that the 7 can be a little tail heavy during/after fuel burn......But now you bring up the nose wheel....Hmmm......So I could get 190+ HP, 40# less weight and reliable. this sounds reasonable. whats the compression on that engine Rhonda?.....One other reason I'm thinking more power is the DA around here during spring and summer, Las Vegas, you can see some big numbers so I thought more power = a little safer....maybe....or maybe I'm just power hungry:D.....I'm gonna figure it out, just want to make the right choice the first time....I'd hate to buy say 180 HP......and then want 210 and have to buy another. Again....are there any 390's flying out there?

Robb

Well Robb its all a matter of comparison..yes so high that you'd be foolish to try to fly a C152 out of there on a Summer afternoon.

But at 250' DA and a cool day my 7a is making 2500 FPM if lightly loaded thats on a fwd sumped IO360 straight valve with a Hartzell BA prop.

In other words its hard to imagine you need more climb than a standard 180HP will give you in a 2 seat RV.

Having said that..If I build another one I'm putting a 540 on it..:)

Frank

The Angle valve head flows better at high RPM's, if you look at the torque curve for the IO-360-A vs an IO-360-M you'll find that they make almost identical power up to around 2400rpm, with the angle starting to edge the parallel out once you get into the 2500-2700 range.

That said, the counterweighted crank is a lot of the weight difference in the two engines, so an IO-360-A1A would probably weight a little less than the IO-360-A1B6 that Van's sells. I'd go either IO-390 OR IO-360-M series. Lycoming is really trying to discontinue the IO-360-A series in favor of the IO-390 because the lower compression will be more compatable with future fuels they think (per Lyc booth at Osh '08).

Hi Stephen and others,

I think we have an interesting discussion going and some of these questions may be something that only a person who has owned both angle and parallel valve engined airplanes can answer. My Lycoming owner's manual has a "detail weights chart" that lists the IO-360-A1A weight at 324 pounds, and the IO-360-A1B6 weight at 333 pounds. My IO-360-M1B is listed at 300 pounds. The IO-390 is not on my weight chart, but IIRC they weigh an additional 18 pounds or so over the angle valve engine. These weights are with fuel injector, mags, baffles, starter, gen or alt., etc. As to the counterweight, I know some people swear by those engines and their smoothness. My thoughts were on how to keep the airplane as light as I could, so that I might still be able to enjoy an A/P, CS prop and glass panel and yet get very good performance and handling for occasional "light" acro. Going with the RV-7 instead of the 7A saved 15 pounds or so and going with the M1B saved about 30 pounds. It is the smoothest engine I have flown behind. It is a Red / Gold engine that has had some special attention paid to balancing, though. It would seem to me that giving up a few horsepower and saving this much weight may make sense, especially with the 7's main gear design. I wanted a CS prop, which was heavy, but I did not want to move the CG too far forward. I'm very happy with the way my c.g. turned out. You have a vaild point about the angle valve's flow pattern. We don't always run at 2700 RPM do we? Also, I believe that many owners have claimed that the angle valve engines are more fuel efficient.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has done a side by side fly off with similarly equipped airplanes with these two engines in both climb and speed tests at a variety of altitudes. (A 200 hp angle valve and a 9:1 M1B with one Lightspeed).

BTW, the angle valve engine's CR is 8.7:1 not 8.5:1 like the stock parallel valved engines, which is one reason I didn't think going to 9:1 was pushing the envelope too much). Also, as to reliability my engine came with a 3000 hour TBO and it's warranty started when I first started the engine, not when I bought it.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into doing anything. My thought process may have been flawed. I was trying to get the most bang for the buck, preserve handling qualities as best I could, keep my c.g. where I wanted it and try to equal or beat the performance of the Van's factory demonstrator. Those were my goals. This is my first project. All I can say is that it is flying, it climbs like a banshee and I am very very happy with it so far. (Now, watch somebody come along and blow my doors off)!

This is the stuff that makes being a homebuilder so great! Everybody does their own research has their own priorities and mission profiles and makes their own choices.

p.s. I hope Rhonda was'nt refering to me about putting out bad info. Barrett developed the 390, and Rhonda was extremely helpful to me when I was shopping for an engine and trying to decide which way to go. Being an Okie and knowing their shop's reputation, I wanted a Barrett engine so bad, I could taste it. You won't go wrong with a Barrett engine!

ok Rhonda.........Should I buy a 390 from your dad?:) I'm definately leaning that way right now.........but still researching....anyone out there with a 390 and been flying for a while?

Robb

Robb: I think the forward facing p/h 360 with stock or 9:1 compression pistons or the IO-390 would be my choice, depending on my budget. The biggest difference in the 390 and the 180 hp 360 modified for 190+ hp will be in climb out and outlay of cash. Fuel burn differences will be nominal. Some people have reported high oil temps with the 390, but are using a 13 row cooler to solve that problem.

There are several -7s flying with the 390. First was Ross Schlotthauer's in ID. He has since sold that airplane. Bill Gill is flying a -7 with a 390 as is Marc Ausman. Hank Avent is currenlty in Phase I. Several others, but I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to pull them out of my memory bank.

The IO-390's listed dry weight with starter, Slick mags, and fuel injection system is 308, just 8 lbs heavier than the a/h 360. Lycoming's weight charts have always confused me because they have to run the gamut on them for their certified engines and list them as they are installed in any configuration. Actual weight of the p/h 360 to be installed in an RV is generally right around 286 lbs.

Re: compression increase and decrease in TBO are directly related to increased cylinder pressures and bearing load. We have found that installing 9.5:1 will decrease the TBO by 25%, and 10:1 will decrease it by 50%. This has proven true over the years. One IO-360-A1B6 in an RV-8 started making metal at 978 hours. The engine was sent here and replaced with a 390. I think that engine now has approx. 800 hours on it.

Bang for the buck would DEFINITELY be the IO-360-M1B. It is my OPINION from my experience with the intake system on the Parallel lycs that flow balancing is more difficult, therefore a little harder to get a nice smooth engine that can run far to the lean side of peak. It's kind of hit or miss, we missed with our carbed one (O-360-A1A) but others have reported sucess in various applications with this engine running LOP. Obviously you will be able to run LOP if you balance the injectors on the M1B, but there seems to be a better track record with the angle valve running LOP.

Incidentally if you don't plan on running LOP at all, then I would absolutely go with an M1B. Most of the time you will be running <2500rpm and tuning the induction wouldn't be necessary ROP.

It's very hard to justify the extra cost of the Angle valve, especially if you consider overhaul costs down the road. Another personal feeling, the wieght difference is simply academic if you are going with a CS prop. It will be noticable if you are in tune with your airplane, but the 7A will handle fine even with an IO-360A1B6 and a Hartzell, just don't fly someone's with a O-320 and wood prop to compare it to ;). The 30ish extra pounds of the Hartzell and the big metal disc spinning will effect handling more than then extra 12-22 pounds of engine.

Did I mention that much of this is my opinion?

More info

After reading Rhonda's last post, I did a little more looking for engine weights and she's absolutely right. I'm not sure why the Lycoming info in my book is different.

Here's some info from the T/M site.

"What are the approximate weights and dimensions of the TMX experimental engines"?

TMX IO-360 Constant Speed (180 HP) :
284 Lbs. (plus 2 LBS for Forward Facing Sump)

TMX IO-360 Constant Speed (200 HP Counterweighted) :
320 Lbs.

They don't state if this includes accessories.

Stephen, you hit the nail on the head as far as running lean of peak with my M1B. I'd need to balance injectors to even attempt it.

I guess I put more emphasis on the weight savings, especially with the cs prop. The Van's support staff really brain washed me when it comes to keeping it light. With these figures from T/M it's 34 pounds saved between the cs parallel and angle valve. That's a chunk of weight in my book. Now you have me thinking that I should have gone with a 170 hp IO-320.:)

170 HP O-320? Obviously you are kidding.

:D Yes I was kidding, Ron. But there are some people on this forum who are building them and I'm sure others already flying. I bet they'd blow my doors off. Don't know beans about their reliability.

170 HP O-320? Obviously you are kidding.

Well, ECI's IO-340 is rated at 185hp - whether you believe the figures or not, it's a great engine choice IMO. I will be running one in my RV-8 unless something more magic comes along in the mean time...

Bart @ Aerosport didn't seem too enthusatic about the ECI-340. I thought he'd be since he developed the same thing in a 360 application (Something like a 375CI IIRC), but he basically said, just get a Parallel 360 if you want the power. The weight savings isn't worth it. The only application I see for the 340 is if you have an 320 core already, and do an overhaul to 340 specs. Same form factor=drop in engine.

Bart @ Aerosport...
...basically said, just get a Parallel 360 if you want the power. The weight savings isn't worth it.

That's meaningless without context. If you're after every pound you can get, then the at least 10lb saving over an IO-360 is definitely worth it. If you're buying new, then CR aside, what other disadvantage is there in choosing an IO-340?

A

IO-390 Web Site

Here's my attempt at aggregating some information about the IO-390 from my own plane, other builders, and input from Rhonda at BPA. www.io-390.com There's more info, but I just have to find the time to post it up.

There is also the Superior IO-400, rated at 310 lbs and 215 hp using 8.7:1 compression.

The interesting thing about the larger engines is that they have about the same fuel burn for the same hp output. If the engine has a higher peak hp rating, then you should be able to cruise at a lower RPM for the same hp - thus increasing your TBO. You will also have a better time-to-climb, reducing the time you operate at peak hp.

Whether or not they are worth the extra $9k is an interesting question; however, to keep weight low you would probably want the Whirlwind or Aero Composites propeller.

<SNIP>
The interesting thing about the larger engines is that they have about the same fuel burn for the same hp output. If the engine has a higher peak hp rating, then you should be able to cruise at a lower RPM for the same hp - thus increasing your TBO. You will also have a better time-to-climb, reducing the time you operate at peak hp.<SNIP>

Quite a few folks have mentioned this. I'm not disputing it, but I am curious why it would be that the BSFC would be pretty constant over the range of % of maxiumum output. I'm pretty sure this is not true for automotive engines - at least I haven't experienced it.

IO-375

A friend of mine talked to Bart at AeroSport and he is sold on the IO-375 in terms of bang for the buck (claimed 195hp). I don't know anyone flying that engine, but I'm considering it over the IO-360 (parallel valve). I gotta do some homework on the vertical vs horizontal, which I know is well documented here on this site. I love the IO-390 but I can't justify an extra $10K over other solutions, plus the weight in the nose of my RV-8.

Good discussion.

Quite a few folks have mentioned this. I'm not disputing it, but I am curious why it would be that the BSFC would be pretty constant over the range of % of maxiumum output. I'm pretty sure this is not true for automotive engines - at least I haven't experienced it.

Lycomings operate over a very narrow rpm range, say 2200-2700 rpm which is also pretty low. Volumetric efficiency doesn't change much over that range and frictional losses remain fairly low so BSFC does not vary much on these engines.

Automotive engines need to spin up to make max power and the frictional losses become much higher at power peak rpm than they are where maximum efficiency is- roughly 1000 rpm below torque peak rpm on most. VE is highest at torque peak and only slightly less at that 1000 rpm below TP. Frictional losses tend to have a large effect on BFSC.

A friend of mine talked to Bart at AeroSport and he is sold on the IO-375 in terms of bang for the buck (claimed 195hp). I don't know anyone flying that engine, but I'm considering it over the IO-360 (parallel valve). I gotta do some homework on the vertical vs horizontal, which I know is well documented here on this site. I love the IO-390 but I can't justify an extra $10K over other solutions, plus the weight in the nose of my RV-8.

Good discussion.
Bart sold me also on the IO-375. Is anyone flying one yet? If so, please share your thoughts.

IO-375

Jake....What did Bart say about the io-375 that sold you ? I'm interested also

Robb

Hi Robb,
I called Bart with my mind set on the parallel valve, 8.5:1 compression ratio, IO-360 and a CS prop. I wanted to keep the compression ratio low so that the auto gas option stays on the table. Even though I may never use 91 octane fuel, I like having that option available in case gas prices go through the roof again. Bart told me about his IO-375 which is a stroked IO-360 with 8.0:1 comp ratio producing 195hp. Seems to me like a good choice getting 15 extra hp with no weight penalty and a lower comp ratio.
I?m about 3 to 4 months away from placing my order so I am interested in feedback from anyone that is using the engine.

Seems to me like a good choice getting 15 extra hp with no weight penalty and a lower comp ratio. I Agree sounds great!

I’m about 3 to 4 months away from placing my order so I am interested in feedback from anyone that is using the engine. I second that also......anyone out there with an IO-375....it does sound a little wierd IO-375....does'nt it?

Robb.....7A that's about to lose 40lbs..:)

I took a brand new stock Van's O-360-A1A and sent it directly to Barrett to work their magic on it. Balanced, ported, flow checked, and 9:1 pistons, and shipped to me with the dyno readout of 189 HP with 2 mags. I have since installed a lightspeed plasma III on one side. So far (105 hours) it has run flawlessly, and I am very happy with it on my RV-7A. You can't go wrong with this choice.

Vic