n38139

Well Known Member
At what point of modifcation do you have to have the airplane re-certified (if any) for an engine change? (O-320 to a O-360)

re-certified? never...

but what exactly needs to be done when doing a major modification depends on your operating limitations, as issued during certification... typical is 5 hrs back in Phase I...may or may not need to notify FAA..

It depends entirely on your operating limitations. There have been several changes over the last 15 years. Check the paragraph outlining modifications. They will tell you exactly how to comply.

I surfed the FAA website last night and the 8130.2f is pretty clear (assuming I am reading it correctly) about a major change and what you have to do.

thanks,

Steve

read page 164, section 19 for sample verbage of what your operating limitations will contain... that establishes what you have to do when doing major modification.

Note: My O.L. have that exact verbage...

I surfed the FAA website last night and the 8130.2f is pretty clear (assuming I am reading it correctly) about a major change and what you have to do.

thanks,

Steve
Again, 8130.2 has changed several times in the last few years. The operating limitations issued to YOUR airplane are the ruling document.