Airzen

Well Known Member
Hi Folks - I am looking to buy a kit engine (Superior or ECI) IO-360. I realize that there are well known names like Aerosport and PannYann who can build and deliver such engines.

I was wondering if folks have recommendation for other builders that I should also be considering. Not looking for anything fancy but stock IO-360 (maybe with Pmags).

Looking for props also so definitely prefer shops that would provide discount on prop+engine combos.

Thank you in advance!

Ashish

America's Aircraft Engines in Tulsa, OK built a fantastic ECI IO-360 for my friend's RV-8.

For a prop, the best deal for a Hartzell Blended Airfoil CS prop is probably Van's themselves... $6980 for the 74" prop for an RV-8.

I was wondering if folks have recommendation for other builders that I should also be considering. Not looking for anything fancy but stock IO-360 (maybe with Pmags).

Thank you in advance!

Ashish

You can always go with less known names such as Lycoming Factory :D

Lycoming

You're right Vlad. And Van's current prices are pretty much lower than anyone I have spoken to. Just wanted to see what all is out there before I pull the trigger ( ... that is on my bank account :rolleyes: )

I'll throw someone that most don't think of in the Experimental market and that's G&N Aircraft. They are always at SnF and Oshkosh. They have been very easy to work with.

I tore down my IO-320, and I had a fair list of custom things I wanted like cold air sump, Precision Airmotive Eagle system, etc. I even had most of my machine work done by other local people. G&N happily took my parts, built the engine and will break it in when I'm ready.

I know you're looking for a brand new engine, I don't know what they can do for that, but it wouldn't surprise me if they will do that too. I like that they would tell me their prices of parts and if I could get it cheaper they would either match that price or gladly let me get the parts myself. Many times they would tell me to go buy things myself because they knew I could get them cheaper direct.

Barrett Precision Engines

If you are looking for first class quality, I recommend Barrett Precision Engines in Tulsa also. Yes, the Lycoming from Van's is less money to start with, but if you are going to add Pmags, fuel injection, etc., then it comes out about the same as getting Barrett to put it together the way you want it! And they balance everything and dyno it. Excellent customer service from a family owned and run business. :)

As far as a propeller, Ameritech (in California) ran a show special at Sun N Fun (I don't know if they had it at OshKosh) for a Whirlwind 200RV prop with a PCU 5000X governor. Whirlwind and Aero Technologies as well as Ameritech have been extremely helpful with all my questions and requests.

Best of luck with your important buys!