locoengineer

Well Known Member
Was wondering if I am going to need a new set of engine baffles.
I am changing an RV-6A that originally had an O-360 dynafocal mount to an O-320 with a conical mount. I have the original baffles from from the 360. I also have the set of baffles from the 320, but it was mounted under the older style (long?) cowling.

Should I :???
A: find a new set of O-320 baffles?
B: use with possible modifications the long cowling baffles?
C: use the O-360 baffles with modifications?

Thanks.

Experience tells me that it is easier to build new with the right parts than it is to try and make something work that was designed for something else.

I agree with Gary - I once replaced an O-235 with an O-320 in a Grumman, and "re-used" the baffles. Lots and lots of fiddling with old metal, and never getting it really right. For the price of a baffle kit, I'd start over - I understand (have not experienced it yet) that the newer baffle kits from Van's are much nicer than the ones we got six or seven years (and more) ago.

Paul

The new Vans baffle kits are much better than the old ones. But they are for Dynafocal mount engines. I used a Vans kit for my Cub and it was a pain cutting out the pieces for the conical mount. At least you have the old baffling to use as a pattern over the Vans pieces so it probably won't be too bad. Rest of the stuff fit great and well worth the money for the new kit. I powder coated everything and it really looks slick. Don

worried about conical

I was kind of wondering about Van's baffle kit being geared to the Dynafocal engine. I was hoping on the classifieds side that someone might have an extra, even used BAF-6-320 that I could use even the forward 2/3rds to make it fit better. Is there much difference between the older cowl style and the newer on on the inside? I was figuring on replacing the rubber seal anyway. I am already way behind where I wanted to be, so I suppose more delay won't hurt. :mad:

I was hoping for a bolt on solution, but I guess nothing good in life come easy! Looks like no matter how I go, there is going to be a fair amount of test, fit, cut, trim, and cursing! :eek: I guess it won't be the first time tho.

I will keep watching here and the classifieds to see if a solution doesn't pop up.

Thanks for all the good ideas so far.

If you have the old back baffle pieces from the 0-320 you can use them to cut out the engine mount area of a new baffle kit. The rest of it fits great. Don

Loco,

I used the O-320 baffle kit on my conical O-290-D2 that I first installed on my RV. Getting them to fit my engine was easy enough. Not counting the changes I had to make for the O-290, that you shouldn?t experience.

Take a look at the engine page of my web site, that will give you an idea of what you will have to do. Disregard the part about having to drill new bolt holes for they cylinder heads, that issue is unique to the O-290.