vasrv7a

Well Known Member
I have determined that I currently have higher than expected CHTS because I have a good sized gap that needs closing in my rubber baffle material by where the oil cooler sits near the back of the engine compartment in my 7A. It appears to be caused by the double 90 degree turn that the baffles make as they make their way around & behind the oil cooler.

I'm sure that this is a common issue... Can someone please describe (or link photos) that explain the BEST way to engineer the rubber baffle material in that area so that gaps in the rubber material are eliminated as the material makes the two 90 degree turns around the oil cooler.

Help solving this problem will be very much appreciated.

Thanx.

Victor

I'm still building, but I just finished the baffles and fitting/cutting the rubber baffle seals, so take this for what it's worth...

What "double 90 degree turn"? I just put my baffle seals on the inside of the baffles, and they run straight across the entire back of the baffles. No need to go around "behind" the oil cooler attach stuff.

I'll look for a picture...meanwhile, can you post one of yours?

Edited: This is my buddy's RV-8, but my baffles were done the same way...looks identical, except mine are red :).

Is this the area in question?

DSC_8541.jpg

Last edited:
That brace that makes it straight is only included in the new baffle kits. You can order it separate though and add it to the old kits.

Thanx for the information on the straight baffle piece in the new baffle kits... that information answers my question.

I will modify and update my installation.

Thanx again guys for the help.

Victor

That brace that makes it straight is only included in the new baffle kits. You can order it separate though and add it to the old kits.

Can you tell us the Vans part number for the brace? Also, the drawings I had for the baffle kit when I bought mine in 2005 were pretty crude. Have they updated the drawing? One last question, how high should the baffle material extend beyond the metal edge of the baffle? I think mine's currently about 1-1/2", which seems excessive.

Thanks,

Mike