rjcthree

Well Known Member
I am planning on building my O-320-H2AD up in Feb 2009. I know that it's first start won't be until, oh, September 2009, maybe as late as Feb 2010. When I build, shoud I be using preservative oil instead of the AD oil (the H2 allows - almost requires - AD/multi-vis form revolution 1, among other details) to assemble? Give everything a light coat of preservative oil after precoat (STP+Oil)?

Or are a decently controlled environment, desiccant plugs good enough, since it has not been run and moisture has not built up on the oil?

Thanks, Rick 90432

L180B

I read L180B and it seems to focus on engines that have been flown. It also cites 'byproducts of combustion', as a source of moisture - neither of which is applicable to this situation.

Rick

Pro engine builders - please?

I'm still working this one over. Next weekend, I start building my H2AD.

I have all relevant and current documents. Key things include Op manual, disassy/assy manual, tables of limits, SI 1014M, SB 446D, SI 1241C, etc.

As of now, I plan on using AD 20w50(aeroshell) which includes the LW-16702 additive, as required by 446D/1014M. I'll be making the prelube with STP + 20w50 per the assy manual.

THERE ARE NO REQUIREMENTS FOR STRAIGHT MINERAL OIL OR ANYTHING PRECLUDING AD OILS ANYWHERE IN THE DOCUMENTATION. Further, it appears that the O-320-H2AD (and 360-E's) are delivered factory new with AD oil.

I know the H2 is a little of an odd bird, but any advice would be helpful.

Oh, and any A&P's want to earn a few $$$ under the table looking over my shoulder for a few hours? Northeast Ohio, west side of Cleveland . . .

Rick - doing engine inventory a second(then a third) time.

I called Lycoming about storing a low time engine & they said to fill it with cheap automotive oil--fill it all the way up. Took 7 gallons and be warned a little will seep out continuously. You have to tilt it to get it full and fill it thru a hole that has a plug up high. I put a drip pan under mine and clean up the drips about every 6 months. It's been a year and I probably need to add another cup of oil.

Anyway, call Lycoming; they may have a different answer for an engine that hasn't been run.