N9331v

Well Known Member
Looking for some advice from the knowledgable base. It looks like I may have run across a engine for my -7 it's a
IO360 A3B6D from a Mooney 1030tt overhaul 2003
Will this fit ok? Any input will be appreciated

Thanks

Ed

my engine came out of a 1964 Mooney, IO 360 A1A not too sure on the suffix number codes like some on here, but mine was rear prop governor, equal length intake tubes, l and r Bendix mags, angle valve, Dynafocal mount, CS crank, fuel injected, took all that off and went EFII. The narrow deck angle valve was about 2 1/2" wider than a parallel valve, but the SJ cowl fit with a 3" saber prop extension..............barley.

Usually any issues arise by the sump configuration. You can put a new cold induction forward facing horizontal sump on it and be on your way. Superior is one vender that makes sumps.

Engine

A3B6D has angle valves, a front inlet oil sump and the single drive dual mag. This engine is a bit wider & heavier than the 180 hp parallel valve models. The "double mag" has been controversial, but properly maintained it is reliable enough. A number or RVs fly with this engine so obviously it will fit in the cowl. If you are serious about this purchase have someone with engine experience do a prebuy.

Don Broussard A&P, IA

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress

Engine

You may also replace the single drive Mag with dual EI mags that pick up of ring gear.
Bob