TomVal

Well Known Member
We purchased this aircraft in Dec 07. We immediately began working on complying with Van's fuel tank service bulletins. But then I got carried away and couldn't resist a few mods. As of yesterday, minus the logbook paperwork being completed, N1WS is once again ready to take to the skies.

Mod List:

Dual Flight Controls
Blast Tube and Shroud for fuel pump
Installed EDI - Engine Data Interface (FADEC)
Installed Infinity Stick Grip w/reversing relays (replaced Ray Allen Stick Grip)
Installed Aileron & Elevator Trim disconnect switches
Added a stainless steel re-enforcement plate to lower fuselage panel just aft of exhaust
Baggage compartment quick release tie-downs
Stowage clips for the aft cockpit control stick when not in use
Rear battery compartment access hatch
Modified battery compartment hold down brackets
Added Dual Battery charging cables
Oil quick drain
Complied with all outstanding Van?s service bulletins
Complied with TruTrak service bulletin
Complied with Lycoming AD?s
Upgraded fuel selector plate and knob
Added fire extinguisher
Silver Bullet Tailwheel Link
Modified AOA pressure/static lines
Added an AOA cb
Upgraded a lot of hardware
New Weight & Balance

2009047v.jpg

dsc00620y.jpg

Regards,

Hi Tom.......

Very nice!......What do those "thingies" above the wing, on the fuse do?

Thanks,

Last edited:
"Thingies"

Very nice!......What do those "thingies" above the wing, on the fuse do?

Thanks,

Wow?great eyesight! The ?thingies? (I really like that name better!) are called strakes. It is a debatable addition. The alleged benefit of stakes is to improve the low speed handling characteristics of the aircraft. The strakes reduce the low speed wing root airflow separation characteristics causing the tail buffet on -8. It is also supposed to reduce the stall speed between 3 to 5 mph.

A visiting RV-8 owner, Dan Miller, had installed strakes on his -8. He convinced me to add them on to my aircraft. The installation plans called for riveting the strakes on to the fuselage. We decided to mount them with screws and nut plates to give us the removal option.

Pierre, by the way, I hope to get to meet you someday. In a few weeks I?ll be flying the
-8 out to its new home in Summerville, SC (DYB).

Regards,