bkthomps

Well Known Member
even the skunkworks folks struggle with proseal, this pic made me feel a lot better about my recent struggles with the sticky mess

bb59b97a0412c2bc58da1d2bb58945b1.jpg

keep pounding those rivets!

Semco sealant gun

One of my favorite tool purchases to date. Built first tank without and second tank with. Made it cleaner, faster and (at the risk of being ostracized) almost enjoyable. Some in my EAA chapter think I'm nuts with my offer to help with any RV tanks.

IMG_0439.JPG

Wasn't going for pretty, just leak free, but the gun made it much easier to get a good bead.

IMG_0666.JPG

Larry...

Which nozzles did you use/find most useful with your gun?

One of my favorite tool purchases to date. Built first tank without and second tank with. Made it cleaner, faster and (at the risk of being ostracized) almost enjoyable. Some in my EAA chapter think I'm nuts with my offer to help with any RV tanks.

Which nozzles did you use/find most useful with your gun?

2 1/2 inch with 1/8 opening. Got them from Brown Tool - $1.29 each. Also got the plastic tubes. Got several other size nozzles but didn't like them.

http://www.browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid=255&txtSearch=semco&List=1&SortField=ProductName%2cProductNumber&ProductID=1614

link to where you purchased the gun?

ebay. Search for Semco sealant, select title and description. Be sure and get one complete as parts are expensive. I got both the 2.5oz and 6oz. Used and like both. Prefer the one with the little paddle instead of the handle as it's easier to get into the tank. Aircraft Spruce sells one that looks similar for $500. $50-80 is a decent price on ebay. If you're patient, you can get one for even less.

First pic looks like red RTV to me... :)

RTV is downright PLEASANT compared to pro-seal...

I was thinking it was a higher temp range version of proseal, I doubt it was RTV if they couldn't even make the skin of the thing out of aluminum, unless you're suggesting that it's a decommissioned version that someone tried to RTV to protect from rain damage

The outer skin temps are indeed high - and red RTV is for use inside the engine compartment. Since it isn't a gas tank (which, on the SR71 leaked like a sieve anyway), I'll go with RTV.

:D

i have a feeling now everyone who sees this thread is fighting me for the semco gun that is currently on ebay :(

New Sealant Guns

Check out the Yard Store for reasonably priced new sealant guns and accessories. Items they sell are generally pretty good and they ship fast.
I have purchased from them many times in the past.

Great Price

Jim,

That is an excellent source for sealant guns. That's the exact setup I have and it was perfect for RV tanks. Although I paid less on ebay, you're always taking a chance. Knowing now how usefull they are, if I were shopping and couldn't find a steal on ebay, I would definitely get the Yard Store one.

I found that...

...large plastic syringes (horse ones for the vet?) work well.

Like the previous recommendations, drilling the nozzle out to 1/8 makes it work well.

Search the internet

link to where you purchased the gun?

I got mine several years ago from a very popular online auction website. As I recall I paid 22 bucks including shipping. I think you can also buy a gun similar to a caulking gun (hand operated) instead of pneumatic like my Semco gun.

You can by the pre-mix cartridges from Van's or elsewhere and the cartridges are reusable as the proseal does not stick. This allows mixing up a small amount from a can and placing it in the cartridge.

IMG_0439.JPG

Wasn't going for pretty, just leak free, but the gun made it much easier to get a good bead.

IMG_0666.JPG

best advice ever! I LOVE my Semco gun.... I've used it to build 4 tanks so far! :) Would not do it any other way. LOL @ Popsicle sticks! :D ;)