comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm wiring my RV-9A and I'm about to add the transponder. I have a King KT-76A Mode C, and I need to include an encoder.

I'm also installing a Skyview 7" display.

Can I use the encoder in the Skyview for the Mode C Transponder? Does the encoder need to be "certified"?

I have an old AmeriKing AK350 but that baby is HUGE!!!

Dkb

There is no grey code encoder in SV and the KT 76 doesn't do serial. Easiest to use a grey code encoder or better yet spend more Dynon $ and get a Dynon transponder. :D

If you need a smaller encoder I have an ACK A-30 that I will sell for $30 plus shipping.

Get the Dynon serial/gray code converter, works fine and prevents any errors from having a seperate encoder which would have to calibrated to match the Skyview altimeter.

The encoder does not have to be "certified" or TSO'd.

Get the Dynon serial/gray code converter, works fine and prevents any errors from having a seperate encoder which would have to calibrated to match the Skyview altimeter.

Just to clarify, the skyview has a built in converter that comes standard and I believe you will not have to purchase separate. Good luck!

Just to clarify, the skyview has a built in converter that comes standard and I believe you will not have to purchase separate. Good luck!

Are you sure?

This is off the Skyview Compatibility page on their web site -

SkyView connects TO the following devices via Serial Port (SkyView TX / Serial OUT) (generic) Gray Code Interface (with Dynon 100362-000 Encoder Converter Module, Serial-to-Gray Code) (no OEM P/N)

It still needs the converter module.

Page 94 here -

http://www.dynonavionics.de/Sky-View-System/skyview_installation_guide.pdf

AZ and Walt have it right - as usual. I have a KT-76 and Skyview and used the serial/grey code converter from Skyview. Everything works great.

If this is the same one Dynon sold for to D-10A, I have one I am not using. $30. If the skyview uses a different one, nevermind.....