drmax

Well Known Member
Curious as to your m/t weight, comparing apples to apples of my config.

9A, slider, painted, 160 lyc, fixed pitch sensenich prop, cloth interior,
padded side panels, full ifr avionics (steam gages)

Trying to figure out why mine is weighing roughly 100 lbs more than most others. I didn't weigh it. Previous owner did.
Emptry weight 1168

Last edited:
McCauley Prop?

Tell me about the propeller on your 9A.....I did a bit of looking and it seems very rare to use a McCauley. I read some comments about a bad harmonic so shied away from one, but the unlimited RPM has some appeal. They are also heavier than the standard Sensi. So which model/ pitch are you running and what is your experience with it?
Cheers..
Evan

Easy to see

Mine is 1071, with Polished plus painted FG. Dynon, Sens prop, Night VFR, Cloth Seats, Carpet forward and baggage, no sidewalls.

Wt could easily be accounted for with Steam Gauges, Full IFR, Paint (25 - 50 lb.) and sidewalls, especially if they have insulation behind them.

I hope the builder did not up the gross wt. above 1750.

...My 9A, slider, painted, 160 lycoming, Werlwind C/S prop, leather interior, padded side panels, carpeted, VFR avionics, steam gauges, smoke system, with all ASA products, larger 925 Odyssey battery is 1,041 lb......:D

RV9a tip up, Eci 360, Catto 3 blade, James cowl/plenum, empty wt upon completion with all fairings installed was 1083. Since then, paint, switched ultra leather for leather interior, oxy system, a lot of "do dads"--empty wt now 1129!!!!

Cheers,

db

My airplane when it was a 9A was about 1147, with a 360 and FP Sensenich. Currently as a 9 it is 1122 with the same equipment, but I'm probably going to a Catto prop, so will be just under 1100 when finished. Dynon and Garmin VFR avionics.

Greg

My airplane when it was a 9A was about 1147, with a 360 and FP Sensenich. Currently as a 9 it is 1122 with the same equipment, but I'm probably going to a Catto prop, so will be just under 1100 when finished. Dynon and Garmin VFR avionics.

Greg
guess my pile of inst's is a large culprit. vans specs could be an airspeed gage and a wood prop, for all i know. peace and thx for the updates.