cjhammes

Well Known Member
Curious what you guys/gals are using to fill in the seam between the edge of the control surfaces where the fiberglass tips meet.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean the open end of the fiberglass fairings for the stab and elev, then you have a many options. I have used what ever I have left over;
1. Had large pieces of fiberglass cut from canopy skirt, cut to fit and flox and fiberglass in.
2. Piece of balsa wood cut to shape, coat and seal with epoxy, then flox and fiberglass in.
3. Closed cell "blue poly " foam, cut to shape, flox and fiberglass in.

When finished just pick the finish filler of your choice.

If you mean the fore/aft seam, then either leave it as is (likely if you screw the tips on i.e. you want the tips removeable), or if you rivet them on, we were told (and did):
  • Rough up the Fibreglass edge, and Aluminium edge and treat this with "Acid etch" (as Vans advise in the cowling hinges) so the resin adheres.
  • Fill the seam with resin (+ lightweight filler)
  • Apply layer of resin, 1 layer of glass, and cover with Peel Ply
  • When resin sets, remove Peel Ply, and sand / fill to get a nice smooth finish
Our website shows a picture (bottom right) of that aspect, and again after painting (albeit this is the wings rather than empennage).

Andy

Hi again...

For clarity, we were told that without the layer of glass, the joint, if just filled would crack? We are now 300+hrs, 600 landings, most flights include aerobatics / formation, sometimes both at the same time ;) and no cracks (yet :confused:)

Andy