AllanB

Finally around to getting the skin on the H/S. I have trimmed the tip of the skin to fit in the jig and when I put the skin on and try to clamp it and even it out I end up with one surface shorter than the other at the trailing edge. ie 1.3/16 on one surface, a bit over 1.5/16 the other. I tried putting the skin on the other side but it moves the problem to the other surface.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :confused: :eek:

Skin Overlap

Allan,

I have built two Horizontal Stabs now, and both had this same "problem". When you are only talking 1/8 of an inch, you've done just fine. As long as you have ENOUGH skin "overhang", just trim the one that is overlapping more, if that makes sense. As long as your stab skin is making good contact with your ribs, and jigged up straight, that is the key. I sometimes wonder if the skins leave Van's factory slightly miscut.

In my case I just used a file to trim the "longer" skin down. Took a long time but it is certainly "easy" work. I tried using metal shears at first but there wasn't enough metal available to get a good clean cut.

I think the other important thing is to make sure your stab will mate up properly with your elevators. The "4" is truly a hand-built wonder - no two are exactly alike, which makes them even more special in my opinion.

Hope this helps . . .

Rick

Rick RV-4 said:
I think the other important thing is to make sure your stab will mate up properly with your elevators. The "4" is truly a hand-built wonder - no two are exactly alike, which makes them even more special in my opinion.
I have great respect for those that build a -3, -4, or slow build -6 well - truely patient and exacting craftsmen.
And those that scratch build a masterpiece from plans just blow my mind!

N674P said:
I have great respect for those that build a -3, -4, or slow build -6 well - truely patient and exacting craftsmen.

Especially those 4 builders. Those guys are all geniuses, great looking and loved by the ladies. :D

Thanks Rick and others, if I squeeze the skin together then there is about 1/4 to 5/16 overlap. As you said I'm sure that it came from the factory like that! I have already sent an e-mail to Vans asking for comment on doing what you suggested. I expect I will trim one edge and just get on with it. Thanks for the comments, Allan. :eek:

szicree said:
Especially those 4 builders. Those guys are all geniuses, great looking and loved by the ladies. :D
Jep, gimme more. My buddy said: Building a QB is like taking a Taxi, with a 7 you drive yourself, a 6 is like riding a bike and those poor guys with the 4 are jumping along on one foot. So jump on any enjoy! (...an old 6 is rather one-legged, too)

Last edited: