Jtowey

Hi - Been lurking around for awhile, and getting closer to pulling trigger on a build.

Two questions that I'd hope the forum could help address:

1. Are the Empennage Kits for the RV7/A and RV9/A identical? Haven't decided whether I want to build 7 or 9. I would like to delay that decision till I've taken a ride in both - -but start the Empennage building if they were the same.

2. Can anyone provide general dimensions for the Empennage? Looking to build it in my basement -- but I'd need to get it out of a hatchway.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

No - the -9 has a bigger wing and needs a bigger horizontal tail. I think the verticals are the same size.

The two planes have the same fuselage, but are different. The -9/A is easier to fly and the factory folks consider it the best for cross country flights. The -7/A is aerobatic, more responsive/less stable, can take bigger engines, and is faster.

Get some rides if you can and make your choice!

Ed

The tail kits are very different for the two planes. The RV-7 has a smaller and tapered horizontal stabilizer. The RV-9 has a much larger and squared off horizontal stabilizer.

RV-7:
rv-7a_3view.gif

RV-9:
rv-9a_3view.gif

And welcome to VAF! :)

definitely need some rides!

one of many data points.

the fuselage of the 7 and 9 are the same DIMENSION, the 7 is beefed up internally to handle larger engines & aerobatic loads, ditto the tail group.

nothing wrong with buying a used tail of almost anything, learn how to rivet and fix rivets, then sell it if you change your mission target.

enjoy your new venture!!!

P.S. love my -9a, if you fly infrequently or aren't Joe test pilot, it's very forgiving. Also a good IFR platform they say, just don't go upside down, on purpose! :)

...just don't go upside down, on purpose! :)

Well, at least don't stay upside down very long. I have it on good authority that the -9 does an excellent aileron roll. Even better than the -10. Loops nicely too. Again, all on good authority, but...um...not necessarily personal experience.

The -9 is an excellent stable plane for comfortable cross-country flying.

Thanks to all for the welcome and the information!

This forum looks to be an absolutely AWESOME resource and that there is a lifetime of learning here!!

I plan to pull the trigger and start building in the fall, but meanwhile will be looking to try a couple out to decide 7 vs. 9 and learn all I can from this forum..

Thanks -- Jim

No - the -9 has a bigger wing and needs a bigger horizontal tail. I think the verticals are the same size.

The two planes have the same fuselage, but are different. The -9/A is easier to fly and the factory folks consider it the best for cross country flights. The -7/A is aerobatic, more responsive/less stable, can take bigger engines, and is faster.

*Only below 10k, based on discussion with factory, the longer wing pays (literally) at altitude. *

Get some rides if you can and make your choice!

Ed

Definitely get some rides, and decide on your mission, then, look at the specs. I once thought the 9 to just be a cheaper version of the 7, but not so, it has the altitude cruise advantage over the 7.

I am building a 7, so take that with a grain . . .