prkaye

Well Known Member
I ordered my empennage this morning. I faxed the order form in... I presume I will get a confirmation email or something within the next 24 hours? Vans website says the empennage kits are in-stock... how long should I count-on it taking for them to package it up and ship it out to me?

prkaye said:
I ordered my empennage this morning. I faxed the order form in... I presume I will get a confirmation email or something within the next 24 hours? Vans website says the empennage kits are in-stock... how long should I count-on it taking for them to package it up and ship it out to me?
I ordered my RV-10 empennage kit on Saturday at Oshkosh (7/29), right after my demo ride. :D I got a confirmation of the shipment by mail sometime last week, while I was traveling. I pick up the kit at the local trucking terminal this Friday (8/18). I'm sure the Oshkosh order backlog has a lot to do with the timing.

prkaye said:

I don't think they contact you for emp kits. They typically have them all boxed up and ready to go, and ship them out by fedex next day. Same day if you're lucky, but they don't have the speediest shipping department.

So you're building a 9A, right? Congrats on taking the big leap!

Paul

So when my empennage magically shows up at my doorstep, it will also come with something telling me my "builder number" and the serial number of my aircraft?

I can't wait... i'm going to be going stir-crazy pacing in the shop every night now until the kit arrives! I finished the first practice project, and actually ordered the "toolbox" project to get more practice and tide me over until the empennage arrives.

It will get there pretty quick. I believe your builder number is on the invoice. Mine was. As far as the serial number goes there was a recent thread discussing this....most people use their builder number for their serial number but you are considered the manufacturer and you determine the serial number. My understanding anyway. I'm working on my empennage now.

Congratulations

Contact/Confirmation is by mail

Don't expect a confirmation email. Instead, you should get an invoince in the mail (so it'll be a few day's, maybe a week). You should also receive a contract from Van's that'll have your builder number on it. They ask you to sign this and send it back to them. Its basically a legal thing saying that you are the builder, and also that they have the intellectual rights to the design.

FlyerJumper said:
You should also receive a contract from Van's that'll have your builder number on it. They ask you to sign this and send it back to them. Its basically a legal thing saying that you are the builder, and also that they have the intellectual rights to the design.
I think I signed this form at Oshkosh, when I placed the order. That was well before the builder number was assigned, but I'm sure the process is a little different when you place an order at an airshow like Oshkosh or Sun 'n Fun.

I didn't hear from them before my shippement had been shipped. They send snail mail which arrived day or two before shippement itself. And that took few weeks due tools took some time to arrive Van's (I did requested to send my tool order to Van's which would sent them to me with the empennage (cheaper for me)). However I did checked from credit card company that at day I sent my fax to the Van's (the day S'n'F started) they had charged my card. The downside of the plane building...

Just wait patiently and start to prepare your workshop. You'll see that it wasn't ready when the stuff will arrive. :p

Small step for the RV builders, big step for you. Good luck! :rolleyes:

I got mine in last week. It came a week after my check cleared and I didn't get any confirmation.
I was ready to call them because I was getting a little ticked off that the check had cleared for a week and they hadn't contacted me to tell me that they received my order and that they were shipping. I got home and two boxes were waiting for me. While it?s a nice surprise, how hard would it have been to send an e-mail telling me that my order had been processed?

Of course, once you get the kit, not much matter at that point except opening those boxes.

I ordered at OSH July 27, and the emp kit arrived 13 days later. They keep them in stock, and ship promptly. No email/notice, etc. Inventory was done today - nothing missing (they give you 30 days to let them know if there are missing parts to be sent - after that, you pay).
Since they had a limited setup at OSH, I received only a tiny receipt similar to one from a convenience store had I bought a soda. Main receipt, builders numbers, pick list, etc., came with the kit. Fear not, they have a long track record of coming through.
Have fun, and congrats on the -9A.
Carl
RV-9A emp

RV-10 Empennage Order

prkaye said:

I'll be FEDEXing my draft tomorrow AM. Hope it lands in Regina, SK before the next long weekend.

PRKAYE: How did you reserve your A/C registration?

George Henson
Tooled Up, Almost

never got a confirmation until fedex freight called me to arrange delivery the next day. I got paperwork from van's 2 days after emp delivered. Wonderful packing and service - had 2 big boxes 5 days after faxing the order!

phil
KSLC

Phil K

Hi Phil. You'll find that Vans will send a comformation of your order by snail mail (I think it's an aversion to technology or somethin'). At some point they (Van's) will get you to sign the contract/licenceing ageement. When I picked up my empenage at Van's, I signed the agreement there....they said if I didn't sign it there I could sign it back at home but it wowld have to be notorized at mailed back to them. Congats and happy riveting! :)

lorne green said:
At some point they (Van's) will get you to sign the contract/licenceing ageement. When I picked up my empenage at Van's, I signed the agreement there....they said if I didn't sign it there I could sign it back at home but it wowld have to be notorized at mailed back to them. Congats and happy riveting! :)
Hmmm... I never signed one. Have to call them on that one, although I think it may be in the preview plans binder. Thanks for the info.

As far as confirmations from Van's... They are in Oregon, and things seem to happen up there at their own pace and in their own way. I have actually heard someone refer to Oregon as the West Virginia of the West Coast. ;) :D

reserving a mark in Canada

>> PRKAYE: How did you reserve your A/C registration?

You can reserve a system generated mark, or you can request a "special" mark if it is available. You can check availability at the Transport Canada registry:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepages/ccarcs/en/current_e.asp#quick?x_lang=e

but I believe the registry only has registered marks, not reserved ones (so even if your mark is not in the registry, that doesn't guarantee it is available).

When you've decided on a mark, you call your regional Transport Canada office, and ask to speak to someone in Aircraft Registration. Then you tell them you want to reserve a special mark for an aircraft. You will have to make a separate call to the finance department to arrange payment of the $140 one-time fee, and then every year after that you have to pay $40 to renew the mark reservation (they will not remind you... mark the 1-year on your calendar).

ARRIVING FRIDAY!!!!!

Well, I'm impressed. After I sent the fax yesterday, I fired-off an email to Vans to ask for confirmation. This morning I got an email from Anne at Vans, confirming the order (and the order for my toolbox project) had both been recieved, and are being shipped off today (arriving Friday!)
She even sent me my new serial number in the email.
WWWOOOOHHOOOOOOO!

UPDATE - they even requested FEDEX tracking service to email me... so I got an email from FEDEX with my two tracking numbers!!
NOW I am really impressed. Maybe they got the message when I complained about their lack of response a while back when they shipped my preview plans to the wrong address.

Last edited: