RatF16

I did it,

Took the first step and ordered the empennage kit.

Can't wait to start!

Ron Hanselman
Layton, UT
-7A Slider

congrats ron! you're starting a project full of rewards! i've been working on my emp since july, and i should be finished with it sometime between thanskgiving and christmas. wings will be order around turkey day.

welcome to the club! :cool:

cjensen said:
congrats ron! you're starting a project full of rewards! i've been working on my emp since july, and i should be finished with it sometime between thanskgiving and christmas. wings will be order around turkey day.

welcome to the club! :cool:

Thanks,

Now the tool search begins! Maybe some of you would like to sell your old stuff?

Cheers,
Ron

Good Luck and Congrats

There are several great resources for tools. My main source, and least expensive, is E-Bay. I have easily saved 100's of dollars using them. I have not had any negative incidents using E-Bay however some folks have. I decided to purchase as many things as I could and it has paid off as I have been able to avoid the tiresome task of looking for tools and having to shutdown working because someone has my stuff or stuff that I need.

The building is enjoyable and sometimes tedious. I overcome this by keeping the end product in mind and listening to XM Radio in the garage. Dont forget to spend lots of time on panelbuilder.

Congratulations and good luck.

Congrats on your purchase. May the journey of 15,000 rivets be filled with much joy and any other Buddhist saying that may apply. ;)

Regarding the tool thing, there is a lot of good advice on this board and the various builder web sites out there, check them out.

About the best advice I can give you is when you get to a point in your construction where you realize you need a special tool that you don?t have and you say to yourself, "I can make something else work", stop and order the special tool, it will save you a lot of time and money. Trust me, I have a mountain of trashed parts to prove this point.

Also, don?t get discouraged when you bugger up a part. Everyone makes mistakes and as someone on this board once said, "it is not if you make mistakes, it is how you correct them that counts."

Good luck!

Way to go!

You are already ahead of me!

I have been reading these posts almost a year. I already got the plans (RV7) and I am tooling-up - built one table last weekend.

As for tools, I am facing the same issues you are. So many tools, so many choices, so much $$$, so... - forget about primers for now!

I am going to Aircraft Spruce "Super sale," as they call it, Saturday, Oct. 1st in Corona, CA. I called them to ask questions, they had no details except "everything will be on sale." Does any one know if this "Super sale" is worth the trip?

Ansarie
LaCrescenta, CA.

i will second the vote for ebay. i bought a bunch of stuff from there, and have not had any problems. i haven't spent a lot of money on ebay, but i did get my rivet gun (3X) from ebay for $100. that's the most i spent on anything from ebay.

i would recommend The Yard for new and used tools. everything i've pick up from them has been great-both new and used. they refurb the used tools. i bought my pneumatic squeezer from them for $350, and it works great! they are at www.yardstore.com

Thanks for all the words...

I hope the whole experiance turns out like this, the empennage came a day early.

My 15 year old boy helped me inventory the parts. He asked how they got an entire airplane in two boxes!

Now he knows the empennage is just a fancy word for tail section. :D

Cheers,
Ron H

Me too !!!!

Ron, I hope I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post.

I ordered and recieved the Empennage, I also ordered the wings. they should be in a few weeks down the road.

I got a lot of good advise from this group on tools, and recieved most of the tools I ordered.

.....................................................................................................
Hello, Danny Quist.........I Just noticed we are neighbors. I work at the Taos Airport, as the Facilities Manager. It would be nice to get together some time. I am building the 7A, well.....getting ready to build.

Last edited:
Tools are on the way! :D

Now I have to wait for our war games to be over before I start on or around the 16th.

Cheers,
Ron H