RV7Ron

Well Known Member
Looking for some input here from the guys/gals who have gone before me. Recently I visited the factory and took the plunge, I am just getting started on my empennage. I have noticed that although Van's reccomends a wing jig, I dont see any mention of an empennage jig. But I have noticed quite a few builders sites (Checkoway's for one) that show builders sometimes use them. My question is, with the skins being pre-punched, is a jig really necessary? Doesnt the pre-punching give you straight tail-feathers or am I being naive? I dont mind doing the extra work for a straight airframe, just wondering if its a waste of time and effort?

No jig used here

This is my first build and I didn't use any jig. It was built on a 7'x3' work bench. Everything fit together very well. I will for the wings though.

No jig required.

The wing jig is not really required either. But, it makes it a whole lot easier.

No jig required

I'm just finishing the empennage and there was definitely no jig required.

Prior to building (this is my first), I read many websites and bought and watched the Orndorff (sp?) videos. I was somewhat confused at first but eventually discovered that the kits and techniques have evolved over time. I haven't taken valuable rivet time to research what has changed and when.

I have been very happy with the detail and accuracy of the plans and instructions. If they say "no jig", you don't need it. My biggest advice for the empennage would be:

"If the plans or instructions call for measuring and cutting or drilling ANYTHING, test fit first!"

Thanks!

great input guys, thanks, pretty much exactly what I was thinking but just wanted a sanity check.

And Larry, definitely good advice, test fit first! And think it all the way through before committing to drill. I already screwed up a couple parts (nose rib, main rib and spar) by match drilling them and one of my holes came out too close to the edge. A $50 mistake! doh :mad:

Ron:

The reason you see some folks using jigs...the first -7 tail kits weren't completely pre-punched and jigs were required then. These were the very early kits though. Mine was #1671 and required no jigs whatsoever. My airplane came out absolutely straight.

N/C to the rescue!

... Prior to building (this is my first), I read many websites and bought and watched the Orndorff (sp?) videos. I was somewhat confused at first but eventually discovered that the kits and techniques have evolved over time. I haven't taken valuable rivet time to research what has changed and when.
The big change was the pre-punched rivet holes. I don't know when Van's started doing that, but it's a HUGE step for mankind :rolleyes: Prior to that you needed a jig to hold everything in alignment while drilling the holes, whose locations had to be layed out and marked by hand.

The big change was the pre-punched rivet holes. I don't know when Van's started doing that, but it's a HUGE step for mankind :rolleyes: Prior to that you needed a jig to hold everything in alignment while drilling the holes, whose locations had to be layed out and marked by hand.

Tell me about it. I'm building an older RV-6 wing Kit, not a prepunched hole to be found anywhere...haha