rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
Well I riveted the trailing edge of the rudder, installed the rudder tip rib, and I was done. On to the fiberglass and I need to get those wings on order. For some reason I was expecting confetti and horns with the last rivet. :D Still it feels good to be able to move on.

I'll have make an order to Aircraft Spruce for my glassing supplies. If anyone has any suggestion just let me know. I've read a bunch on previous threads so I think I know what's needed.

One thing I'm not sure about is if the tips are glued prior to being riveted? Seems like I saw that in one of the threads.

Off to clean more stuff out of the hangar, uh garage... Got to make room for those wings. Ho ho ho to me. :D

If you are building a tail wheel airplane, I recommend that you delay installation of the bottom rudder fairing until you get it mounted on the fuselage with the tailspring in place.

Don't know of any reason to "glue" the tips in place.

capping caps

i used some sheet scraps of .025 and 5 min epoxy to make my caps worked good and finished edges with micro and epoxy

Mel, thanks for the feedback. The upper rudder tip is on. I think the idea for glue was to make it stronger some how. It's a pretty tight fit so I'm not sure. The epoxy idea would have done much anyway.

One other thing as I was squeezing the tip it seemed like the joint opened slightly. Should I put a piece of cloth over the outside as I'm doing the glass work?

It's going to be a 7A but I'm not sure I'm ready to attach the lower rudder piece yet. I'll take a look at how the cutout has been done before I work on that one.

I had fiberglass help from a friend who has built 9 Lancair's, and a lovely 1950's fiberglass bodied Ferrari from scratch. I put a flox mixture on the flange of the fiberglass tips, which when riveted on squeezes out the seam between the skin and the tip. After curing, this is sanded flush, filling the seam. IF you plan to finish your plane so the seam is hidden, this is easier than trying to get filler to stay in the joint.

Regards,