BillyBob

To help me understand the several rudder,VS,HS types, I have a question.

I have heard that late RV-6 kits (2001) had the larger RV-7 VS and rudder Counter balanced). Also other posts have indicated that there were 2 rudders used on the RV-7/8??

Can anyone summarize the timeline of the various HS/VS/Rudders used on the RV-3,4,6,7,8,9 models? I assume the 10,12 models are totally unique and possibly the 9 HS is also.

Thanks,

I can give you the order but not dates. The original -3, -4, -6 had non-counter-balanced rudders. Later on the -6 got the -8 counter-balanced rudder as did the original -7. Next change was to change to the -9 rudder on the -7 for better spin recovery. The -10 is a totally different animal.

Thanks, Mel.

That matches most everything I have been reading. My interest is that I have been looking for an orphaned kit to finish building. One recent RV-6 QB kit (2001) I looked at appeared to have the -7 empennage or VS/Rudder at least. Now it appears it might be an advantage to try for a late -7 as opposed to an early one? I assume the changes were all to make improvements in handling.

bc

BillyBob said:
I assume the changes were all to make improvements in handling.

bc

Actually, the RV-6 only changed to the RV-8 rudder to gain some parts commonality and reduce inventory.

The RV-7 changed to the RV-9 rudder for a slight improvement in spin recovery (it wasn't bad as it was, but it wasn't quite as good as the RV-6, as Van had orig. said). So the different rudder was offered to builders and then standardized into the kits shipped after that tiome.

Last edited:

Hi Bill,
IMHO, you can get a better bang for your buck with a -6. Since it has been discontinued and replaced by the -7, the prices seem to reflect that as well. Furthermore, I don't see much speed difference either, having flown both.

Yes, find an orphaned 6 and save money ;)
Regards,