whd721

Well Known Member
I am nearing the installation of a Fairings Ect. Empennage fairing. Does anyone have any tips. tricks or guidance?

The large upper fairing fits fairly well, but the lowers are initialy a poor fit. The instructions discuss that the fit will improve as they are installed. Reports?

My upper fairing fit pretty well, but like you the lower ones left a bit to be desired... I decided to just use Vans Aluminum fairings for the lower ones.... the combo looks good to me.

Good luck,
Jason

I have a question ...

What's the "lower" empennage fairing ?? Are you referring to the aluminum strips that run under the HS on each side?:confused:

Thanks for the tip. I will look at using the Vans AL strips instead of the fiberglass strips under the stab.

Make Some

I wasn't too thrilled with the Fairings Etc lowers either so I just laid up my own. Took all of a couple of hours total to lay them up, trim them and fill and prime. I like them better than Van's with the seal to deal with.

My $.02 worth.

Paul,

I have not done much fiberglass work. How did you form the lower fairings? I would like to try that.

Thanks

fairing

Bill,
I'm no fg expert, but i just put some packing tape on the fuse and underside of the horizontal stab to begin with. I had some 9 oz cloth on a roll about 3" wide. I but three strips of that and wetted it out with epoxy with slow hardener in it. It surpised me how well it laid up against the fuse and HS. the inside raidius just happened and it worked out very well. I trimmed it so the front is held by the big upper Fairings etc. fairing and I put two screw into the longeron to hold them on. I haven't flown yet but they appear to be fine. I'll try to find some pictures and send them to you if you'd like.

It's not nearly as intimidating (the whole FG thing) as it used to be!!

Thanks,

I think I will have a go at it. Pictures would be great if you find them.

Bill

Bill,
I'm no fg expert, but i just put some packing tape on the fuse and underside of the horizontal stab to begin with. I had some 9 oz cloth on a roll about 3" wide. I but three strips of that and wetted it out with epoxy with slow hardener in it. It surpised me how well it laid up against the fuse and HS. the inside raidius just happened and it worked out very well. I trimmed it so the front is held by the big upper Fairings etc. fairing and I put two screw into the longeron to hold them on. I haven't flown yet but they appear to be fine. I'll try to find some pictures and send them to you if you'd like.

It's not nearly as intimidating (the whole FG thing) as it used to be!!