ymc9

I've started to work on the tailcone. A completed empennage is not too far ahead!

I assume it's a good idea to attach everything (without fully tightening the bolts) even if I need to disassemble the parts to save storage space. Is it what people usually do?

A lot of people leave the tail cone off until much later in the build. I attached my tail feathers to make sure that everything fit together, but promptly took them back off to make storage easier. It's a bit of a pain to put the horizontal stabilator back on later, but it was worth it for the ease of getting around things in the garage. It probably also reduced the possibility of hangar rash before I ever got out to a hangar!

I've started to work on the tailcone. A completed empennage is not too far ahead!

I assume it's a good idea to attach everything (without fully tightening the bolts) even if I need to disassemble the parts to save storage space. Is it what people usually do?
The KAI say to install the tail feathers but most suggest to wait which I did until the end. Tip.. Read ahead and start on the fiberglass tailcone before installing the stabilator.

A lot of people leave the tail cone off until much later in the build. I attached my tail feathers to make sure that everything fit together, but promptly took them back off to make storage easier. It's a bit of a pain to put the horizontal stabilator back on later, but it was worth it for the ease of getting around things in the garage. It probably also reduced the possibility of hangar rash before I ever got out to a hangar!
Thanks! What was the "a bit of a pain" when installing the stabilator back on later? Did more things get in the way afterward?

The KAI say to install the tail feathers but most suggest to wait which I did until the end. Tip.. Read ahead and start on the fiberglass tailcone before installing the stabilator.
Yes, I guess the instructions assume you have to the space to attach the empennage and set it aside for a few months 😄.

Also I just noticed the tailcone fairing is actually not part of the empennage kit (looks like it's in the finish kit?). Why is this the case?

Yes, I guess the instructions assume you have to the space to attach the empennage and set it aside for a few months 😄.

Also I just noticed the tailcone fairing is actually not part of the empennage kit (looks like it's in the finish kit?). Why is this the case?
That’s a great question. I finished my empennage (though have not assembled control surfaces) and stored it away almost 6 months ago, and just received my finish kit with the tailcone fairing last month (finish kit was ordered at the same time as emp/fuse/wings, but had a 6 month delay in shipping). Would have much preferred to complete the fairing when I was actively working on the tailcone. Don’t know why Van’s chose to package things like that.

The stabilator installation required holding several very thin washers in exactly the right spot on eash side, and they are placed in very tight spots. Luckily, you can do one side a time if you grind down a bolt or other implement to make a tool for temporarily aligning one side. I found the use of thin "washer pliers" to be a must! Please note that I have a relatively old plane, #760, and there have been some improvements in the intervening years.

I think the tailcone fairing is in the Finish Kit because it is not structural, plus all of the other fiberglass components are there, too. I have to admit to same emotional angst of not being able to finish the tail section before progressing to the wings & fuselage. It's amazing how emotional we can get! :)

Another thing to consider - on the 12iS (unlike the ULS), the fuel pumps and filter assembly is attached to the aft baggage compartment bulkhead, and is much easier to install before the tailcone is mated to the rear fuselage (it can be done later - it’s just harder). However, the fuel pump assembly is part of the powerplant package, and there is a 9 month lead time for ordering. I don’t really need my engine for a while, but plan to go ahead and order it just to have possession of the fuel pumps. Similar situation for installation of the wiring harness, which is part of the avionics package - more cumbersome to add after mating of fuse-tailcone, though not as bad as the fuel pumps/filter. Much shorter lead time to order as well.

The stabilator installation required holding several very thin washers in exactly the right spot on eash side, and they are placed in very tight spots. Luckily, you can do one side a time if you grind down a bolt or other implement to make a tool for temporarily aligning one side. I found the use of thin "washer pliers" to be a must! Please note that I have a relatively old plane, #760, and there have been some improvements in the intervening years.

I think the tailcone fairing is in the Finish Kit because it is not structural, plus all of the other fiberglass components are there, too. I have to admit to same emotional angst of not being able to finish the tail section before progressing to the wings & fuselage. It's amazing how emotional we can get! :)
Got it, thanks. Ya, it sucks not being able to "complete" a major section just missing such a small piece ... I saw those pliers from aircraftspuce. Gonna order one today!

Another thing to consider - on the 12iS (unlike the ULS), the fuel pumps and filter assembly is attached to the aft baggage compartment bulkhead, and is much easier to install before the tailcone is mated to the rear fuselage (it can be done later - it’s just harder). However, the fuel pump assembly is part of the powerplant package, and there is a 9 month lead time for ordering. I don’t really need my engine for a while, but plan to go ahead and order it just to have possession of the fuel pumps. Similar situation for installation of the wiring harness, which is part of the avionics package - more cumbersome to add after mating of fuse-tailcone, though not as bad as the fuel pumps/filter. Much shorter lead time to order as well.
It's great to know that ahead of time! I'll preview the instructions about the fuel pump and filter. Does it help if I leave part of the tailcone skin unrivetted if I don't want to order the powerplant early?

Hopefully you have a newer kit or have installed SL-00068. Most of the tricky to install washers have been replaced by a couple of little steel plates. This makes it possible for mere humans to get the stab bolts in now.

I agree with the others … leave the tailcone off as long as you can especially if you’re building an iS. The fuel pumps and also a bunch of the avionics will be so much easier to work on with the access provided by a separate cone.

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 34