xblueh2o

Well Known Member
Making slow progress on my 8's empennage and I have a question. Posted it in this forum since it is a pretty generic question and probably applicable to most types. I am at home reading ahead trying to get a handle on future steps so I don't have all the relevant parts in front of me to manipulate.
I see on the vertical stab DWG 6 side view a note to leave certain holes open for attaching the empennage fairing and then back in DWG 85 the callout for an AN507 screw and K1000 nutplate to secure the fairing. My first question question deals with attaching the nutplates to the rib. I have fluted the ribs to make them straight so I am wondering about the ears on the nutplate possibly having to bend slightly. Is that acceptable?

Second question. I am trying to think ahead and leave myself the option of running a cable for a VOR antennae at the top of the vertical. Can somebody tell me the diameter of the cable is and how big the connecter is?

Third question, related to second question. Tell me your experience with VOR antennae mounted inside the wing tips. My plan is to have a reliable enough instrument set up to be able to shoot an ILS and wondering what people's experience is regarding inside the wingtip antennae?

Thanks in advance for your input.

There are lots of posts on "Archer" type wingtip VOR antennas. Some are more satisfied than others with the VOR performance (I'm happy), but I have not seen any complaints about localizer or glide slope performance.

I think RG400 is 0.2" in diameter but don't quote me. You can always put the connector on after you've pulled the cable.

My first question question deals with attaching the nutplates to the rib. I have fluted the ribs to make them straight so I am wondering about the ears on the nutplate possibly having to bend slightly. Is that acceptable?
In general, your flutes should be centered between rivet holes. That makes later adding platenuts a non issue.

In general, your flutes should be centered between rivet holes. That makes later adding platenuts a non issue.

I suspect this will be so, but...
As I said, I am sitting at home so I don't have the rib and platenuts in my hands to be able to test fit and see if the fluting will interfere with the ears. Busy the next few days so I will have to wait to see until mid week or so when I can get back to the hangar and try it out.

Archer. That was it. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of them. I am very interested in installing the Archer antennae so I will do more research there. Can anybody think of any other services I could/should put up at the top of the vert stab. May as well plan for that now while it's easy.

I have fluted the ribs to make them straight so I am wondering about the ears on the nutplate possibly having to bend slightly. Is that acceptable?
Within reason, structurally the "ears" on the nutplate are a non-issue. The ears, and rivets, are there to "hold" the nut part in place long enough to get the screw in and tightened up. At that point you could remove the ears (until you need to take the screw out :eek: )

The key is to ensure the nutplate is centered on the hole, and perpendicular to the surface. So I would bend ears as much as needed to ensure that.

Again, within reason, the screw / nutplate pattern does not need to adhere to plans. For instance, if you get the Fairings etc. fairings, the pattern is very different to the Vans one.

The only thing you might want to add to the VS is a camera if you are that way inclined ;)

As was previously said, flute in the middle between holes. I would not install the nutplates.it is really easy to take the VS off the airframe in order to rivet or nutplate. If you do a good job on the fiberglass, you only need a fraction of the nutplates called in the plans. You can install rivets instead once you have finished the glass work.