miyu1975

Well Known Member
Hello all...looks like I will need to be modify my emp fairing. The sides do not lay flat against the surface and one side they did not even curve around the front edge. I recall at some point seeing someone's site that had cut the lips off and laid new glass down. I was hoping someone here may have done the same and had some pics or could at least advise me a little. I was planning the cut the lips on the black line, then lay down peel ply on the HS and glass over it...simple enough?

P1020192.JPG

P1020193.JPG

My Way

I had to do something similar on my 10, I would use packing tape on the H stab, bring it out 6" or so from where the fairing ends.

Do not cut off the flange on the fairing, but sand it very well on the underside, and clean with acetone or MEK.

Mix up a batch of epoxy and flox, or milled fiberglass, make it pretty thick----creamy peanut butter ish.

spread the goop under the fairing flange, put the fairing in place, and cleco it down. Or, if you have not drilled for clecos, use weights to hold it down.

When the resin has hardened, remove the fairing, and sand down the top of the flanges till you are happy with the way they look.

Hint, keep the flange thick enough to countersink, and gently roll over the outer 1/4" for a nice thin edge.

If you cleco it in place, dip the cleco tip in liquid car wax first, just a small amount will work just fine, (tip from Randy Thorne)

Good luck.

Try this first

Tape the fairing down at the vertical stabilizer. Put on an oven mitt or mechanics glove. Heat the area that is not conforming with a heat gun and work it down with your gloved hand.

Work slowly. It will take time but you can get the fairing to conform nicely using this method.

Mine looked almost identical to yours at the start. Here's a side view showing how it laid.
RV-7build214.jpg

The key is knowing, hey its fiberglass make look how you want.

here how mine looks after <20hrs.
RV-7build1003.jpg

I wanted to eliminate most of the screws, so added the glass hooks under the HS. BUT as already pointed out, Great care is needed to install and remove.

Thanks for the photos...after looking at photos presented I remembered that when I put the HS on I forgot to put the 2 small spacers that go between the forward center HS bracket and the top of the tail, which then put the HS at a slight downward angle which was causing the fairing issue. I reinstalled the HS correctly and the fairing fits MUCH better. I was able to drill the holes needed. I did still have to fix the one side that was not curved under the forward edge of the HS. For this I used the heat gun trick and it worked like a charm. I now have a little reglassing to do on that spot, but all is well. Thanks again..