prkaye

Well Known Member
I purchased two of the EM-1 headset units now being offered by Headsets Inc. We took them on a cross country flight this weekend and tried them out.
Firstly, a disclaimer: I have only one very brief experience with ANR headsets, so my review here isn't based on any kind of comparison... just my general feeling.
The EM1 is basically a dave-clark style headset with a green rubberized coating on the ear cups which apparently helps with the passive noise reduction. The headband is steel (not plastic) and has thick sheepskin pad on the top. The headset are stereo capable (with a mono/stereo mode switch) and has Headsets Inc. famous ANR modules. Takes a 9V battery.
We were amazed at how well the ANR works. Cut the engine noise in a Katana right out. No strange noises at any time, and they worked without any problems. The audio was very clear, and the mic was very nice.
Only one complaint is that I found after a while the clamping force was bothering my temples and I was adjusting them every few min. But this could be because they are new... maybe they will loosen up after time?
They were VERY affordable (I forget exactly... under $400USD each), and overall I'm quite happy with them.

I've got the Headset Inc conversion modules in my helmet, and find that they probably do as good a job (or better) than the Lightspeed ANR's I flew with for years! A good product, and an inexpensive way to convert a good headset that you want to make a little better.

Paul