mike109g6

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the phone jack cord from the ELT to the remote on the panel is just a plain old phone jack cord? My Ameri-King came with a cord that must be 30' long, I've rolled up the excess into a loop but still it's a wad. If it's just a plain old phone cord I'd like to replace it with a shorter one so that I'd have less excess.
Mike H 9A/8A

Yep...

Yep, it's RJ-11...I had about 1 extra foot after my service loop behind my panel, so I just left it. The ACK phone cord is probably 15 feet long. I still snipped the end off of it so I could route the wire through the center section, though. Made it much easier to run that way.

Go to Home Depot and buy the RJ-11 crimpers and an RJ-11 plug. Strip the rubber back from the 4-wires about 1/4-inch and slide it into the plug...then crimp. Done. You should hang on to your old plug to make sure you have the wires in the right order. Then test it when you're finished.

Be careful.

One of the ELT manufacturers that use the so call phone cord does not put the connectors on in the standard fashion. One end is standard and the other is reversed. Look at the old cord or modify the old cord. Install the NEW connector the same way as the one you cut off.