HIIFLY

Well Known Member
My IA friend insists that I must install a 406 ELT because my RV-8 is a new built aircraft . I was under the impression that the old 121.6 would be legal .
Can someone set me streight on this please . FAR 91.207 says that after June 21/95 ELT's that meet TSO-C91 may NOT be used in new installations ??? Thanks

My IA friend insists that I must install a 406 ELT because my RV-8 is a new built aircraft . I was under the impression that the old 121.6 would be legal .
Can someone set me streight on this please . FAR 91.207 says that after June 21/95 ELT's that meet TSO-C91 may NOT be used in new installations ??? Thanks

Unless the regulations changed this week, you are correct in being able to use a 121.5 ELT that meets TSO-C91a. Yes the older TSO-C90 ELT may not be used in a new installation.

I expect that some day in the not to distance future, the 406 ELT will be required. IF I were buying a new ELT today, I would get the 406 ELT.

406 is still a good idea

HIFLY: Your risk management is your business, but realize for a new installation it's only about a $420 price difference to buy yourself an exponentially better chance of being found if you ever actually need the ELT. I just swapped out my Ameri-King 121.5 for a new ACK E-04 for that reason - be sure to weigh the costs and benefits before scoffing the 406.

Good luck,

New 406

I wouldn't mind buying a 406 if I already didn't have a Ameri King 121.6 that I removed out of my Hiperbipe that I dissambled and sold for parts. :eek: I was hoping to get the 8 flying and when I flew off the 40 hrs. then have to or want to buy a 406 Amari-King . I have been throwing money at this project like I have it , reality is setting in for me . I still would like to know what the letter of the FAA law is on this .

I wouldn't mind buying a 406 if I already didn't have a Ameri King 121.6 that I removed out of my Hiperbipe that I dissambled and sold for parts. :eek: I was hoping to get the 8 flying and when I flew off the 40 hrs. then have to or want to buy a 406 Amari-King . I have been throwing money at this project like I have it , reality is setting in for me . I still would like to know what the letter of the FAA law is on this .

The letter of the law is that 121.5 ELTs are still perfectly legal in the U.S., and I'd guess the majority of RVs are still using them.