carl nank

Well Known Member
I am nearing my purchase of an ELT.

I had a thought :rolleyes: I read a post recently that the FAA, at this time, did not require the new 406 ELT for GA.

Since the old technology has been disabled from the system, could that be interpeted as no ELT is required? I am sure I am dreaming.

My situation is, I think the $1,000 price tag is out of sight. I still have hopes that when the FAA says everyone must have the 406, the price will come down. Meanwhile, for the next year I will only be flying local.

I had a thought :rolleyes: I read a post recently that the FAA, at this time, did not require the new 406 ELT for GA.

Since the old technology has been disabled from the system, could that be interpreted as no ELT is required? I am sure I am dreaming.
The FAA at this time does NOT require the new 406 ELT. The 121.5 MHz frequency is no longer monitored by satellites. It is still monitored by most airliners and military aircraft.
An ELT IS required on aircraft with more than 1 seat. (There are a few exceptions. see 91.207)

Last edited:
ELT requirements Canada & US

...and of interest is that Canada has just rescinded their requirement to equip with 406 for now.
It has gone back for further study, thanks to the efforts of the EAA & COPA to find a reasonable alternative.
Sorry, I can't quote line & verse on this, just a news bulletin I read.

So......we again welcome US pilots this summer!

And one of the alternatives...

...and of interest is that Canada has just rescinded their requirement to equip with 406 for now.
It has gone back for further study, thanks to the efforts of the EAA & COPA to find a reasonable alternative.

...mentioned was "GPS tracking with a trail of bread crumbs", but no further details.

APRS or a commercial version?
...or are they thinking of the SPOT system?

?CAP equipment?

121.5 may no longer be tracked by satellite, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the CAP does not have equipment to track the 406 MHz signal and still relies on the presence of the 121.5 signal for their efforts. Is this still accurate? Any CAPers out there?

121.5 may no longer be tracked by satellite, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the CAP does not have equipment to track the 406 MHz signal and still relies on the presence of the 121.5 signal for their efforts. Is this still accurate? Any CAPers out there?
I don't know if this is true, but the new 406 ELTs still put out a signal on 121.5 so CAP should still be able to home in.

Went to the EAA workshop on electrics a few weeks ago. Asked about ELT's, and the recommendation was to go with 121.5 or wait as long as you could before going to new models as prices were dropping. He said that the sattelite monitoring of 121.5 never worked anyway, so 121.5 is still just as effective as it ever was.

-John

It seems a shame,

to be forced to purchase something that expensive, that does not do the job it is designed for.