pvalovich

Well Known Member
I am trying to fgure out where to mount theAK-450 ELT and antenna in my RV-8A. I think I've figred it out - but now have concerns about the remote unit indicator. Do I really have to install this thing? Seems like a lot of trouble, wire runs and real estate for little value.

You really have to install it, and it's best if it is visible in your normal panel scan. Along with that buzzer it's actually goodness. All it takes is a hard landing to trip the ELT, and turning it off is better than having the CAP visit you on the flightline at Oshkosh.

No particular reason that I chose that example, of course.

I am trying to fgure out where to mount theAK-450 ELT and antenna in my RV-8A. I think I've figred it out - but now have concerns about the remote unit indicator. Do I really have to install this thing? Seems like a lot of trouble, wire runs and real estate for little value.

For the installation to comply with the TSO that the ELT is certified under, you have to install the switch module in the instrument panel.

Scott--

Would the right arm switch panel in an -8A qualify? IOW, what is the verbiage of the TSO? I've never heard or seen this. I ask because I bought a used unit, with no instructions. Getting ready to cut some holes...

Thanks!

Joe

Scott--

Would the right arm switch panel in an -8A qualify? IOW, what is the verbiage of the TSO? I've never heard or seen this. I ask because I bought a used unit, with no instructions. Getting ready to cut some holes...

Thanks!

Joe

I don't remember the specific wording but the main issue is that you follow what the installation manual for your unit specifies (the instructions they supply are part of their original TSO approval). If you google your model # and the word manual you should be able to find it.

I just did it for the Ameri-king and got this at the top of the list
http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/02 IM 450 Rev A Installation Manual.pdf

DOH!! I have that pdf in my files...

"The ELT remote unit assembly must be mounted in the cockpit where the pilot can easily reach the switches and see the light>

Note: The Remote Unit is required by C91a. It is not optional.

It is strongly recommended that the Remote Unit be located in an area that is part of the pilots normal instrument scan."

So, in the cockpit is a "must", on the panel is "strongly recommended"...right arm switch panel it is.

Thanks for pointing me there Scott!

Joe

It seems that the mounting locations for all the ELT parts are a compromise, especially in the 8's. I mounted the main unit on the baggage shelf, the antenna under the stab fairing and the remote on the right sidewall as I was basically out of room on the panel. None of these locations are great but whatchagonnado?

eltremote.jpg

My DAR was OK with this install. You might want to check with your DAR and see if this qualifies as "normal instrument scan" as stated in the install manual.

FWIW, here's the transmitter install:

eltinstall.jpg

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB