wera710

Well Known Member
Been reading old threads on the location of the ELT antenna on the RV. Mine was located externally on the -8, just aft of the canopy, via a flexable metal antenna to lay it level with the fuselage. A small fiberglass loop held it in place, allowing the canopy to slide over it. In use, the clip could easily snap, allowing the antenna to stand tall I suppose. You could also unclip the antenna from the loop to let it go vertical.

I hated it, but it was clean and low drag so I left it alone: Until some putz at a fly-in decided to lean on it and snapped the loop clip. Now 200 mph tape holds it to the fiberglass mounting and its a total eyesore.

I want to relocate it to the right side between the tubes on the seatback bar where they attach to the fuselage, as I have seen others do. All I have seen have been using a handheld rubber duck antenna. Its clean and more or less unobtrusive.

Those of you who SPECIFICALLY have done this, have you had any issue with signal loss during testing? Has anyone managed to snap an antenna in that position.

Please do not turn this into another thread for various location possibilities. I want to stick to specifics for this one position and handheld antenna combo, as seen on RV-8s.

Thanks in advance.