JerryG150

Well Known Member
I'm guessing my ELT never worked from the start. I didn't install it (in hospital for 2nd. triple by-pass) and when I tested it for first time, nada ... no light on the panel as it says it should flash to be A-OK. The battery was dead ... $165.00 later the new battery for the ELT was installed and it wouldn't reset, alway on and broadcasting. So Sarasota Avionics checked the wireing and the telly cable was not correctly wired ... so we used the coupling supplied with the kit that we were not suppose to use to reverse the telly cable at one end ... then the ELT worked but still no luck with the remote on the panel. So a new panel remote is on order and will be installed when it arrives. I hope that allows me to check it properly and then all will be well. I hope.

Anyone else have this problem?

Oh yea, I had to buy a new rectifier for my -12 to get the avionics to work properly even before the kit was finished ... about $180.00. Old rectifier makes a great paperweight.

I hope these little annoyances end eventually ... or is owning a plane like owning a boat? or worse?

Maybe too simple, but, did you check the small battery inside the remote switch housing? I thought the plans were revised to add the coupler. I remember having to eventually add it after reviewing the manual for the ELT, and the manual for the remote switch. Let me know if you need either manual.

Last edited:
My Ack E-04 ELT has three batteries. One for the remote, one for the alarm and the big main one. I'm waiting to install the one for the remote and the alarm when I get closer to my DAR inspection.

dumb mistake ...

First, you have to remember I was in the hospital having my second bypass surgery when my ELT was installed (I can't complain about that ... I'm still here :)).

Professionals rechecked the wireing, the connections, the battery was dead and a new one installed, the phone cord was checked and used with and without the coupler ... Van's and the ELT manufacturer were consulted and it still wasn't working properly. I don't want to say how much I spent to fix my problem ...please don't ask. :eek:

Then a new ELT remote was ordered and installed ...

That being said, my problem was the original remote switch ... it was installed upside down! :(

Last edited: