bajapilot

The data receive test on the ACK Elt is making me crazy. It's the last thing I need to do before I take my a/c to the airport for inspection.

I've made the test rig using a 300 ohm resistor and led light. When hooked up it's suppose to pulse about 1/sec to indicate that the SV-GPS-250 is sending position updates to the ELT. Trouble is the light just stays on - no pulses. According to the trouble shooting section this may indicate that the GPS is not sending the proper data protocol.

So what am I missing? Is there a port setup or something that I'm missing? Did anyone encounter this? HELP!

Bill

Are you sending the signal from skyview? If so, I couldnt get mine to confirm the signal until I switched the Skyview and ELT to a baud rate of 4800. The default 9600 just would not test. I tried 4800 as a last ditch effort after many hours of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the idea Mike. I'll give that a try as soon as I can come up with a jumper for the pins in the ELT.

Don't understand why this hasn't come up in this forum. I seem to have had quite a few views but only your reply. No one else run into this? Am I missing something in the Skyview setup? I've search the post for this but no joy.

Any help appreciated.

Bill

couple other things

I had problems getting the correct indication from the led and got great help from ACK.

The ACK instructions for wiring the data plug weren't clear to me as the picture is from the rear. Hopefully the 12 instructions are clear on the 4 wires.

On setup screen, ensure data out from Sky view is Nema Basic. Then Reverse the test light leads. Although I thought I had it originally, when I reversed the test leads, it started flashing.

Good luck

Uh - maybe I am way off here? But I do not think that the standard RV12 kit connects the GPS from Skyview to the ELT. It runs a wire back there that is left hanging and an extra optional module has to be purchased if you want to interface them.

Again - could be wrong ??? If so I'll delete this post later! Not at home near my documentation!

I have Skyview but I ran the GPS from my G430w at 9600. I didn't think it was testing at first but I read the note about the very faint light pulse and once I closed the hangar doors and turned off the light it was pulsing just fine.

Position required

You won't get the flash unless or until the GPS gets a good position, having it on and connected is not enough. So you may need to push it outside or verify you have position before you proceed.
Tim

I vaguely recall the same

Uh - maybe I am way off here? But I do not think that the standard RV12 kit connects the GPS from Skyview to the ELT. It runs a wire back there that is left hanging and an extra optional module has to be purchased if you want to interface them.

Again - could be wrong ??? If so I'll delete this post later! Not at home near my documentation!

I too have the dangling wire. Furthermore, as I recall, the needed added module never quite materialized and/or was recalled for non-functionality or somesuch.

Even without the GPS the satellites can narrow your location to less than 1 square mile. Granted that might delay rescue in wooded terrain, but in open areas like the desert where I live it's probably adequate. (If I was bleeding I might give you a different opinion!). :rolleyes:

Pretty accurate

Even without the GPS the satellites can narrow your location to less than 1 square mile. Granted that might delay rescue in wooded terrain, but in open areas like the desert where I live it's probably adequate. (If I was bleeding I might give you a different opinion!). :rolleyes:

An A&P on my field was installing a ACK 406 in a cesnna, the owner of the plane called him and told him he had received a phone call asking if he was ok and and had he accidentally set his ELT off. They gave him the address where his plane was (the A&P's hangar) and told him it was 20' south of the hangar.
The GPS serial line was not hooked up yet, but it had been triggered accidently while installing, and it was indeed right outside the hangar doors.
Tim

Still trying to track down my ELT data problems. Thanks to those who offered suggestions and comments, I may be making some progress but don't know for sure yet. Talked to both Vans & Dynon today and got some help from both. Vans said the data line to the ELT was inop on the earlier kits but should be functional on mine. Dynon was very helpful and walked me through a lot of the setup on the serial ports getting my transponder, GPS, comm and ADSB to talk to each other. I haven't been able to test the data stream to the ELT yet but I'll get to it soon.

I'm hoping to get my DAR out next week and still have to do engine runs and some final tuning before he shows up so I'm going to shelf the ELT test until then. I have transition training scheduled for the 3rd and 4th so things are getting busy. If I get this ELT thing figured out I'll post my results for others.

Bill

Please don't take this as an absolute, but I remember hearing somewhere that the ELT wire on the RV-12 wiring PCB might be shorted to ground, messing up the serial output from SkyView.

With everything off, I would double-check that the ELT data wire isn't shorted to ground, and that it is making it to the right pin on SkyView.