riobison

Well Known Member
Time to replace my junky and intermittent Ameri King AK 450 ELT on my RV4.

I'm hoping to buy one at Sun and Fun and take it back home with me in my carry-on baggage on a commercial flight. Does anyone one see this as being a problem?

I'd hate to get to the Airport and be going through security and end up being told that due to the batteries or who knows what in this day and age that it's not approved for carry on or even checked bags on commercial flights. I don't really want to be a position in having to choose between trying to mail a $700 dollar ELT and missing my flight or leaving it on display in one of those plastic bins.

Thanks

Tim

Have it shipped

Most of the places that you buy it from will ship it to your house for free.

Pilot Carry On stuff

I'm flying with a pilot in his plane on a long XC and coming back commercial. Do you think I will have any issues with my 'CFI bag' as a carry-on which contains a handheld, my Stratus, flashlight, batteries, headset, etc. ? I have some small tools I also carry (a multi tip screwdriver, small pliers) that I will leave home.

I'm flying with a pilot in his plane on a long XC and coming back commercial. Do you think I will have any issues with my 'CFI bag' as a carry-on which contains a handheld, my Stratus, flashlight, batteries, headset, etc. ? I have some small tools I also carry (a multi tip screwdriver, small pliers) that I will leave home.

I've had a fuel tester confiscated...the kind with the screwdriver tip on the end. They said it could be used as a weapon. That was about five years ago...so not sure if it still would be a problem, but beware. Its aggravating for something like that...it wasn't worth trying to ship it home...so I was stuck buying a new one.

I've had problems with my inspection camera. I told them that it was in there and it might look like a pistol. They, of course, pulled me aside to inspect it. They weren't concerned that it looked like a pistol, but said it looked like a drill. "Heavens to Murgatroid! You can't bring a drill onboard!"

Even though it was in it's original box that had the full description, they were still not happy. I had to take it out and show them how it worked.

You can bring a lap top, it has a battery, you can bring an I Pad, it has a gps reciever.....?

I have carried on my flight bag

Headsets, GPS, flashlights, kneeboard, charts, iPad, etc. ---- no tools.

You can never tell

Unless it is specifically prohibited by name or type of device, I think it is always up to the whims of whoever is inspecting. If you happen to know what a dobro is, I once had to actually take it out of the case and play it to convince them it was a musical instrument. One guy thought the capo for it looked like a switchblade, though there were no sharp edges anywhere.

So my answer to your question is - maybe! :confused:

you can bring it. it is not a prohibited item. and you can bring tools with you in your carry on. the rules say it no tool can be longer than 7 inches. i had to kindly point out the rules do not limit how many tools you can bring under 7 inches long. although they did not take to kindly when i mentioned to them while they were confiscating a pocket knife, that i could do far more damage to a person with my 7" screw driver than i could with a 1 1/2" long knife.

Time to replace my junky and intermittent Ameri King AK 450 ELT on my RV4.

What part of intermittent don't you like? :D I thought they were only supposed to work in a crash. Do you really land that hard that often? :eek:

In all seriousness, I once flew to help deliver an RV-10 to the Dallas area and took my 2 D cell LED Mag light with my flight bag. I didn't want to risk it so I left it with the -10 owner. I know I could do more damage with that than with a 1 1/2" pocket knife. Chances are the TSA agent would have had as little common sense as they usually do and let it through, but you never know.

Can you see the headlines, "Airliner hijacked with flashlight?"

I wouldn't think an ELT would be a problem. I would leave the battery separate.

...they did not take to kindly when i mentioned to them while they were confiscating a pocket knife, that i could do far more damage to a person with my 7" screw driver than i could with a 1 1/2" long knife.

The most important thing to remember when going through a TSA checkpoint is that you are not allowed to bring logic and common sense with you when you travel.

I had a security agent wave his scanning wand around the outside of my double-wall stainless thermos coffee cup one day to check it. It was full of coffee at the time. The wand beeped all the way around the outside. He said "okay, you're good," and waved me on.

The most important thing to remember when going through a TSA checkpoint is that you are not allowed to bring logic and common sense with you when you travel.

I had a security agent wave his scanning wand around the outside of my double-wall stainless thermos coffee cup one day to check it. It was full of coffee at the time. The wand beeped all the way around the outside. He said "okay, you're good," and waved me on.

Oh, I've got that beat :). I have a friend who is very tall...VERY tall. His head was higher than the old metal detectors.

So they wanded his head.

I love flying my own plane and avoiding these sorts of stupid things. Usually.

I have other stories of friends who are LE officers, and usually carry a weapon with them when flying their own planes. They've had "security" dudes at FBOs want to search their bags, tell them they can't have a weapon, etc.

You can imagine how far that got.